starter bendex issues

tdaaj

ok, bought a new reman starter from napa bout 1 yr ago. bendex started disengaging the drive a couple months ago periodically. quit working altogether about 2 weeks ago. i finally had time to work on it today, napa wqouldn't warentee it,($80 starter) but could get a new one from Phoenix in about a week for another $90, yeah right. so i tried an iffy bendex i had layin around, yeah itr was junk. called shucks, got one on the shelf, $34. so i bought it. come to find out, same exact starter just a different supplier. same part numbers, everything.(fuck napa) get it home, swap the bendex out, fucker would only engage for a couple seconds and quit working. what the hell am i missing here? is it just bad luck or is there something i may have over looked?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just passed up a $35 autolite and $50 b.a alternator at schucks for a used pull-a-part one for $8.50

there is a reason they give lifetime warranties on this crap. i've seen people trade up 5-6 starters to get one that works.

i couldn't imagine any rebuilds lasting 30-40 years. reputable shop or not. good luck bro.

Edited by dat521gatherer

Beck Arnely is not a bad brand

MY 35amp autolite rebuildi my 510 is still going strong(maybe autolite rebuilds them better now as they have to pay for towing if the part is bad), Why I dont know but I remember Schucks had the MPA brand alternators/starters and they were shit.(rebuilt in Maylsia)Lifetime warrenty or not.

If possible get the Nissan ones.

make sure you got good cables

I fought that issue for the last 2 months.

The starter I had in my KC was a Schucks reman but I didn't have the papers for it. The solenoid quit engaging properly with the key, but would work if I shorted it with a screwdriver at the starter. Obviously a low-voltage at the solenoid wire problem, but even after replacing the switch and running new wires it still had the issue. Yeah, I could have just gone and gotten a relay to put in but I was too cheap to go get the relay.

So, I put in a gear reduction starter... only to have bendix issues. The starter motor would spin up just fine, but it would only engage the flywheel for a half turn before kicking out (and then spinning at 10,000 RPM). Try getting a cold Datsun started when you can only get the starter to turn the engine 1/2 turn.

So, swapped that out for a junkyard starter I had lying in a pile somewhere under the chest freezer for the last 5 years and it works fine.

The freezer better work... It's got all my frozen stuff in it. In the garage, not outside. My house fridge doesn't have a real freezer in it, just a tiny 12"x10"x10" box. The only reason the starter was under it was the starter was one of a pile I had on an old bookshelf, which collapsed under the weight (pressboard and a pile of starters isn't such a great combo, considereing the bookshelf was something I scrounged out from behind an apartment-complex dumpster).