Z24 block with KA head???

Rocky671

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully KA24E pistons. Did you get car or truck pistons? Check the clearance between the rod small end and the piston on the pin. I think the Z24 rod is wider at the top than others. Seems to me this was done before and there wasn't enough space to let the rod center on the crank properly. This may also be a problem with the KA24E piston as well. Easy fix now if it is.

• Like 1

I don't think you need KA pistons for this setup to work. Z24's came with a few different pistons over the years and you can probably find one that's close and just mill the dish a bit deeper if need be. Or get a set of custom forged pistons built to your spec. Custom pistons aren't as expensive as they once were, nor are they just for racing engines.

You still have not said which KA head you are trying to use.

• Like 1

Was it HRH who built one? Its been done and didn't seem worth it to the guy who built it. Lots and lots of odd little things he had to change.

What's your motivation? If it's because you want to and you can, go for it. But for almost any other reason a ka swap might be the better option.

• Like 1

Z24 was only used in the 720 early D21/WD21 and the Vanette. I think there was only one piston used. If using the KA24E head you will need the KA piston just to keep stock KA compression or the compression will tank. Z24 dish is 15cc, KA is 2.8cc.

• Like 1

I used to use KA24DE pistons to build my much loved 2200, and they fit on the N85 rods, so unless the Z24 rods are vastly different on the small end, the stock KA piston should work.

@Lockleaf - Using the stock block allows you to retain the stock oil pan, stock motor mounts, stock alternator, water pump and distributor. For some, that's motivation enough.

• Like 1

Sealik had a problem with his build. Either the Z24 piston is narrower or the rod small end is wider. I have both Z24KAE and L20B/Z22 rods and Pistons will measure them tonight. Just saying there was something odd but might not be a problem

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I new if I searched I would find the answer..... Dang I just wanted to sneak the KA24E head on my D21 Z24 just to get a little more power until I motor swap it.  Guess I will just have to wait for more power.  

• Like 1