CA to NY

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has a current California registration, I don't know why you'd need a temporary tag.  In California, the plates and registration stay with the car.  I know other States may require the seller to turn in the plates.

I would call my insurance company before making the trip, though.. 

I am looking to buy a car in California to drive home to New York. Is it difficult to get a temporary tag to Drive my used car home?

Thanks. Do I need previous owners permission to drive on his plates/registration?

Probably not if the seller and buyer have done the paperwork properly.Just do a bill of sale,sign title and leave our DMV out of it if you can.Out here in Cali the DMV has their hand out for everything $$$

Seller will sign the title over to you and send in a release of ownership to the DMV, so no, you don't need anything else from the seller, but you do need to add the vehicle to your insurance most likely, unless your insurance covers you alone and doesn't care what you're driving.

Thanks, guys. This forum is way better and faster than the CA DMV website! Really sets my mind at ease.

But now we expect pictures of you on your trip across country,,, and i don't give a damn if its a fricken 79 rabbit.

:)

• Like 3