New Owner of a 720 (with many problems)

Brandon.fair

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i get leafs out of another vehicle besides a 720? Like a s10, Mazda b-something ect? I haven't seen any 720's in the yards around here.

Also since I have no a/c or heater controls when I bought the truck, can someone point me in the direction of the temp switch for the heater I would like to get it working for the winter. 

I have found the blower fan speed switch connector and I'm thinking of doing a simple 3 pos switch (high, off, low) setup just for defroster.

As far as headlights I'm thinking two switches one for the lowbeams and the next for the highs(lows would have to be on for the highs to come on.

For you electronical inclined peeps.

QwThUxc.png

Unfortunately that electrical diagram doesn't help much.

Nissan runs power directly to the heater motor. From there is is run through selected resistances (lo and Med speed) to slow it and to ground. High speed is no resistance and directly to ground.

Same with the headlamps. ALL have full power from the headlamp switch. The ground side is selected by a relay that grounds either the Hi or the Lo beam circuits to turn them on.

How you guys like my new radio?

CQ02vi6.jpg

I bought one of these and the dimensions should allow it to fit in the radio opening

Dimensions of speaker is 6.5" wide x 2.1" tall x 1.8"deep(by looking at the picture, the 1.8 and 2.1 might be switched.

Radio opening is ~7.25" wide x 2.1" tall so it's gonna be close. The cardboard mockup is 2.05" tall and it has about 1/16" to 3/32" more vertical room.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XTADG2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_r.enzbG7T5RJT

VolYJIs.png

Should be here Tuesday I guess we will see if it fits

• Like 1

I know what they do but not which one is which.

One senses excessively high manifold vacuum (high RPM deceleration) and with other gear and clutch switches turns off the idle cut solenoid. This saves wasted gas and excessive HC emissions.

The other senses excessively low manifold vacuum (heavy throttle or load) and tells the distributor module to turn off the exhaust side spark plugs. to 'reduce noise'. The system automatically increases the ignition advance to compensate for longer burn time with a single spark plug.

Hmmmmm I'm trying to get rid of the vacuum system (except for VTA). I'm just wondering if any of this stuff still works. As you can see one had no vac line when I got it. There is another vac switch on the other side (pictured below) any idea what it does?

On another note, Dmike did you work of datsun/nissan or something? How do you know so much about these vehicles? 

CseFhoc.jpg

Been involved with Datsuns since '75? Had a '68 510 that was 7? years old and a new '76 B-210 and an 5 year old  '71 521. Had a '78 620 for 14? years and have two 710s now.

Have a Z24 and two L20B engines sitting in the back yard. Three or four automatics, a zx 5 speed, a Z24 5 speed and CA18ET 5 speed and 4 Z series heads, 2 KA heads, 4 L heads, an H-233 4.625 LSD differential, half a dozen flywheels and so many small parts I can't remember what. Just can't let them go...

I've been here at Ratsun 10 years discussing them and post on a 720 forum sometimes and have had an article published in the Dime Quarterly on transmission ID.

Right I'm keeping the VA but all the vacuum line ports on carb and mani need to be cap'ed right? 

Dmike I'm not following your comment about all the ones on the carb aren't manifold vacuum? Does this mean they don't need capping? 

I feel so dumb right now haha

Take the sender out and bend the float swing arm upward. Try 2". Now float has to drop 2" lower in the tank to read the same 1/4.

I would try this with the tank as near to empty as I can get. It's lighter. Do outside with lots of ventilation and no ignition sources near.Take tank out and clean around the sender. Use a brass or copper pipe to drive the locking ring backwards and off. Save the O ring and clean with WD-40 or replace it with a similar size from NAPA.

• Like 1

Thanks I think I'll save this for when I buy a new tank. I finally got my oil  changed yesterday, I couldn't get the drain plug out for a while someone put the thing in there with like 100ft-lb of torque it seemed like. I went with rotella t4 10w30 and a napa gold filter. I'd hoped that would quite don't some minor engine noise but it had not helped. So I'm thinking about checking valve lash next. I guess while I got the valve cover off I will replace the gasket. 

Any recommendations on gaskets? Or is a gasket a gasket and it doesn't matter