Valve tick when hot

Alright everyone, I've got a 629 with an L20b with probably a lot of miles. I'm not real sure how many it's got on it to be honest, I picked the truck up from some guy who's been driving it like this for about 5 years. But it sounds great and runs great, makes good oil pressure and stays cool and all that. But once it's up to temp, I get a valve tick. Reminds me of my buddy's old Mazda pick up that had one about just as loud. So my question is how would you solve it? Adjust valves? Not change anything with it? Resort to horrible Oil additives? I'm not real confident I can adjust the valves properly myself.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never use additives.

Check the valve lash. The loosest one it the one that tics when warmed up.

Warm engine thoroughly and set to TDC. This will allow you to check / set... 

intake and exhaust on #1

intake on #2

exhaust on #3

Turn engine ONE full turn up to TDC now you can set...

exhaust on #2

intake on #3 

intake and exhaust on #4 ... done.

Doing it this way is faster than bumping the engine constantly and it's done before the engine gets cold.

Intake...... 0.010"

exhaust... 0.012"

Well i would call that fairly obvious...

I don't think you can adjust that out.... even if you realign and reset...

The ticking has to be related to that.... have you taken the valve cover off and see if it moved again?....

I'd think that lash pad should be replaced... you can also see if it's loose in the reatainer....

How did the rest look?... someone might be able to help with a spare lash pad... I know I have some extra I'll never use..

Pull it out and see what size it is...

pzkuWZo.png

Learn to post the picture.

Excessive lash can allow the rocker to jump off the lash pad.Take rocker and lash pad out and examine. If worn or gouged then replace otherwise put it back on and set clearance

You should be able to very slightly wiggle the rocker even with the correct valve lash. I mean there is 0.010" of play.

That engine needs more regular oil changes. Use Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo 400 15w40. It's a light diesel oil with safe levels of ZDDP in the formula. Diesel oils are also more detergent and will clean that engine up. Always change filter when changing oil. Don't use fram. Use NAPA gold or wix.