CV shafts in the works

Icehouse

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are 280zxt arms, which technically fit into the stock crossmember mounts, but I've modified them with heim joints for adjustability. The shafts are 280zxt R200 shafts with the inner snap-in joints taken off and swapped for the same type as the outer joint, mated to a 720 4x4 front R180 that had the same type of joint with snap-in stub flanges.

Here is what the inside shaft joint looked like (R200 shaft, 29 spline):

DSCF2306.jpg

Here's what the diff flanges look like:

DSCF2308.jpg

Disassemble the shafts and use the flange cups on both ends instead of just the outside. The joint internals are the exact same, and the 720 uses them as inside joints so it's not like you can't use them on either side. Also, the snap-in style inner joints (instead of snap-in flanges) aren't easily rebuildable like the cup/flange ends:

DSCF2302.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think the ZX ones will work for me to, now that I'm using the truck inner stub axle. I have a list of parts I just need to get to work finding them, school is keeping me to busy!

• 6 months later...

Has anyone figured out a hybrid CV shaft to use with the Longnose R200 and 5-lug Z31 hubs that have 4-bolt flanges? Fly510's said his brother used "280zx non turbo cv shafts with 5mm on each end taken off the splines and reassembled." From what I could find on the net the 280zx non turbo didn't have CV's in the US. Would it be possible to use the shafts Matt has and put a Z31 flange and boot to mate the hub flange? Any help or direction would be great. My cars getting blasted on friday and I would like to get it on all 4-wheels relatively soon.

Has anyone figured out a hybrid CV shaft to use with the Longnose R200 and 5-lug Z31 hubs that have 4-bolt flanges? Fly510's said his brother used "280zx non turbo cv shafts with 5mm on each end taken off the splines and reassembled." From what I could find on the net the 280zx non turbo didn't have CV's in the US. Would it be possible to use the shafts Matt has and put a Z31 flange and boot to mate the hub flange? Any help or direction would be great. My cars getting blasted on friday and I would like to get it on all 4-wheels relatively soon.
I don't know much about the Z31 hubs. If they use the same dimension "tripod" type CV joint, then they should fit. Kind of like the 720 4x4 front tripod is the same dimension as the 280zx one as far as I can tell, but spline/shaft diameter where it engages the tripod is larger, so only the housings will swap, not the tripods or shafts unless you use all 720 tripods and shafts or all 280zx tripods and shafts (or 200sx from what I've read).