I got it one piece at a time........

captain720

What is the amperage of the black fusible link that goes to the alternator supposed to be? Mine has a 15 amp fuse instead of a link. There is the small signal wire and the bigger one off the back of the T Plug, currently both are running through their own 15 amp fuses

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha a lot more than 15 amps...

siravgI.jpg

This is from Nissan. Looks like Black is 80 amps. I only have the '84 FSM and assume the '85 is similar. On the '84 the Black fusible links has to safely pass enough current for 2 X 10 amp, 2 X 15 amp and one 20 amp fuse. 

Youll have to check the '85 but the '84 shows...

tail, marker, license, interior light 15 amp

stop and hazard lights, 15 amp

horn, chime, 10 amp

heater blower, 20 amp

clock/ inspection lamp, 10 amp

That's 70 amps though unlikely all these draw that amount. 80 amp is a margin for error. Fuse ratings are only to protect the wires. Also unlikely the heater would be on blast, brakes/4 ways, interior lamp on and honking the horn. lol

• Like 1

I ran all my fog lights, heater on blast, turn signals, brake lights, and headlights and that's what it took to pull 15 amps through the alternator charge wire and pop the too small fuse so they clearly have a lot of overhead. I don't have a radio that could be a big factor 

L2350 wiring -positive battery cable and the spare red wire |  OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

80 amp is 1.25mm square.

Here's one for a 1.0square mm. A little undersize but better than over size.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=80+amp+fusible+link+wire&sxsrf=AOaemvI7lw_-nV1vRE3xiOwYd-UDsJItEQ:1635477919302&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJtquD1u7zAhVQrJ4KHcDzBt4Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1600&bih=738&dpr=1.2#spd=14356638355583986111

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCk_Yk3JFdJjUxpEmk5

You only need about 4". An 80 amp fuse will work but a fusible link is preferable because it can sustain a shot term maximum load without blowing. Perhaps 4-5 seconds before melting, where a fuse blows instantly.

• 1 month later...