L16 water temp

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 710 has some vacuum operated heater valve because air con. With everything shut off the drive to Canby was very hot in the afternoons. Water was flowing through the heater core and the entire heater was hot to the touch and some warmth comes out the defrost vents. I clamped the heater hose with vice grips and that fixed it. Christ it was hot enough without the added heat.

Regardless the temp sender is in the wrong place.

There are a couple reasons why that setup is likely not going to work properly, in the photo I see no ground wire and since the sensor is held in place by a rubber hose.............

Another reason why it will not read correctly is that the sensor is not in the actual flow of the coolant, it looks like it is in a side hose which is out in the open where it will cool off quicker, now if you had put it just the opposite of the head outlet where the coolant coming out of the head fitting was pointed right at the sensor, it might have worked, and the Tee would still allow the coolant to the heater core via a 90 degree turn, and as mentioned, the core valve would have to be open all the time.

I have never cut off the flow to my heater core ever in the 20+ years of owning Datsuns, I always either cut the airflow off, turn the fan off, or just open the heater air assembly/vent up to allow outside air into the cab and roll down the door window.

my new summit mechanical temp guage says I'm running at 150 on the freeway at 70mph, 86 degrees today. My dash guage shows just behind the line. I have no idea what thermostat is in it, it's been over 5 years since I put one in. I overheated it and had to do the head gasket, I had a leaky radiator at the time. My question is, what thermostat did they come with or what temp does the line on the stock guage represent as far as operation temp? It's possible I put a low temp stat in it when I was worried about it getting hot. I am not sure, just seems low to me. I had to install the sending unit into a 'y' fitting (all I had at the time) into the line that comes out of the back of the head and into the heater. I have 13psi cap, so I know it's pressurized enough that the sending unit is getting a proper reading, right? Because of the y fitting it's kind of angled back from the flow. It's going to be my daily driver now for who knows how long, until I either fix the head gasket on my truck or buy something else, which really isn't in the books right now. I live in Redding, ca and last summer we had a lot of days between 100 and 112 degrees. Just want to make sure I have my cooling system and guages all set before it gets hot.
image.jpg

I have never cut off the flow to my heater core ever in the 20+ years of owning Datsuns, I always either cut the airflow off, turn the fan off, or just open the heater air assembly/vent up to allow outside air into the cab and roll down the door window.

This will work but that's why there is a shut off. It's so heat doesn't 'leak' into the cabin... and it will. The hoses are hot and so is the core. Warm air rises. Try shutting the flow off and maybe a cooler summer for you wayno. :lol: