My wifes new 78' Long Bed.

FauxRoux

Hi all, thought i would introduce myself.

After a bit of searching I finally found the wife the truck shes been hoping for (after my father in-law threw a rod in the 67 bug I built her. :pirate:).

A pretty clean 78' 620 Long Bed. 127k miles and with minor tune-ups/fixes is driving strong. Some minor surface rust in expected places and that grey spot at the front of the window was brazed as it looks like the lack of window felt and the weight of the mirrors was helping minor rust start to tear the sheet metal

20160320_143801.jpg

Im pretty sure the reason we got it so cheap was that the heater valve was dumping coolant in the passenger side floor and the terminals from the battery were in need of a good cleaning as she would only start on every 4th try. I guess the PO just didnt want to deal with it or something. No idea. But after a vinegar bath I replaced the O'rings and old hoses and we were good. They had even replaced the starter and battery pretty recently before I came along.

20160325_191845.jpg

20160325_190347.jpg

So far I am loving this little truck. Its a breeze to work on and my wife is reaping the benefit of my latest project. I fear I may have acted reckless this time in getting her a truck though.... she is some breed of magpie woman and is now able to bring even larger random shiny shit home. :sweat:

• Like 4
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great looking truck (wife's not bad too).  I especially dig the classic pinstriping and the "General Lee" wheels.  The door panels are factory brazed to the window frame.  I believe the flux from the brazing process lends to rust in this area, but obviously additional brazing has its consequences too.  Please keep posting pics as you continue making updates!!!

• Like 1

My '78 was cracking right where the sash? meets the door skin. (there is a factory weld there) It's from years of flexing when shutting (slamming?) and opening the door.

That makes sense. The weight of the mirror makes the window framing shutter pretty hard at the window when closing (I need to replace the window seals all the way around). Unless the guy who did the factory braze was super sloppy (which I cant imagine is the case) someone touched it up as its pretty messy and not painted...I'll get a pic of it soon.

Great looking truck (wife's not bad too). I especially dig the classic pinstriping and the "General Lee" wheels. The door panels are factory brazed to the window frame. I believe the flux from the brazing process lends to rust in this area, but obviously additional brazing has its consequences too. Please keep posting pics as you continue making updates!!!

Much appreciated and will do. I usually try to record my projects, whatever they be. And yeah...having a wife who supports ones hobbies is worth its weight in gold....if you can belive it she's getting her masters in librarian... (something or other )..so she can run a national archive...fuckin hilarious.

You can see the factory braze under the paint (horizontal) where the window frame meets the edge of the door skin.  That "add-on" is pretty crude.  A TIG weld would have been far more ideal,  but "use what ya got."  Other than the dash being a little rough, looks like a fantastic truck!!!  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So the wife went to work and after 5 min on the freeway reports a "chunk" noise and loss of acceleration followed by spluttering acceleration and limping to work then home on side streets.

I check it at home and idles fine so I drove it around the block and experience the same sputtering, lurching... broken up by the occasion normal acceleration if feathered just right.

So I figure check the fuel line and find this...

20160416_152138.jpg

Also the lines were all cracked. When I pulled the lines off the filter it completely detached on the inside. I replaced the filter and lines.

Unfortunately the spluttering though better....is still present.

So I move on thinking maybe some of that crud and rust made its way to clogging up the carb? So I take off the air cleaner and find this hidden in the back out of the corner of my eye...

20160417_194341.jpg

34567.jpg

20160417_194356.jpg

20160417_194415.jpg

I got a little leak...just to the right, halfway up the cable  there's a little puddle...

• Like 1

check all the vacuum lines for cracks 

try blowing air back into the fuel tank from the supply hose in the engine bay (possible clogged fuel line )

also check all fuel lines for brittleness or cracking  

good luck the truck looks great 

Pull the carb to replace the base gasket.  By doing so you will find all the bad hoses connected to it.  If you want to crack it open, clean out the debris, and set the float height/drop it might be to your advantage.  Good "day project" for the weekend or if you're handy a good evening project once you have the gasket set.