Extended lugs with 1/4" spacers?

Kytoaster

Hey all, well it's finally starting to warm up here in KY, so it's time to the winter/snow tires off of my 74 620.

The only problem is, the wheels and tires I have to put on are going to need spacers, and I'm not sure if 1/4" spacers will need extended lugs or not?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put one on and check the clearance. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock also to see if it hits the body anywhere. In some cases a spacer will make rub worse.

If you mean something like a stack of washers... don't. You need a full plate with 4 holes and probably longer studs  to replace the now 1/4" shorter ones. The rim needs to be fully supported from behind and not up on 'pillars'. In addition the lug nuts need FULL thread coverage for proper tightening and support. I'm sure you wouldn't do the former but it needs saying.

Put one on and check the clearance. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock also to see if it hits the body anywhere. In some cases a spacer will make rub worse.

If you mean something like a stack of washers... don't. You need a full plate with 4 holes and probably longer studs  to replace the now 1/4" shorter ones. The rim needs to be fully supported from behind and not up on 'pillars'. In addition the lug nuts need FULL thread coverage for proper tightening and support. I'm sure you wouldn't do the former but it needs saying.

No no, definitely a set of real spacers. No stacked washers for me.

I may be a "shadetree mechanic"...but....dang...not that shady.

A good rule of thumb is to have a minimum of thread depth engaged that matches the studs width.  Any less would require extended studs to ensure proper and safe thread engagement.

For example, on an M12 stud it should have a minimum of 12mm of thread engaged by the lug nut itself. 

I forgot to mention, if they can fit on your choice of wheel, ET lug nuts are an option as well if you are really close to clearing the minimum.  Within a couple millimeters usually.  The threaded portion of the lug is extended into the wheel seat to gain more thread engagement.

et_lug_nut.jpg

ET-0327-2.jpg

Be careful with those lug nuts.  At 55 ft lbs (significantly more with alloy wheels), there is very little strength between the threads at the thin section of those nuts.  Material thickness is marginal, plus the threads are cut not rolled, so they are prone to crack under stress.  Even if they were made from tool steel and properly heat treated (think $30-40 each) they wouldn't be as strong as you would hope.  

When I found wheel studs for my race truck (2 1/2") I remember there being one other option just a bit longer than stock.

Well, with the 1/4" spacers, the lugnuts I have don't even reach the lugs through the wheels/spacers. Took the spacers back and am ordering some 1" spacers/adapters, as the rear tires were barely rubbing on the frame.