Can anyone tell me what brakes these are?

ShaneLovesDatsuns

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be that you have a 521 body on the 620 truck frame.

Get some sand paper or wire brush and clean the top of frame just forward of the passenger side engine mount. If a 620 fame it will say HL610(and some numbers). 

I believe the 521 has the top of the frame stamped just behind the engine mount beside the starter.

wayno????

If a 620 frame it likely has a 620 L20B engine too. Look on the block just behind the dip stick handle. L16??? or L20B stamp??? This may have been done to upgrade the suspension and brakes but technically is avoiding emissions testing of the later L20B engine and is illegal. 

• Like 2

It looks like late 620/early 720 non vented rotor disc brakes to me, it's hard to tell anything else from them photos.

You can buy them at just about any auto parts store, just ask for 1979 Datsun 620 calipers, but take one of yours in to be sure it is what it looks like it is.

You can also upgrade to vented rotor brakes if you like, just find a late 720(prefer late 86 myself) and take everything between the upper balljoint to the lower balljoint and bolt it on to your control arms.

• Like 4

If you jack it up and remove the tire, take pics of the UCA, the UCA mount, LCA mount, the LCA pivot under the engine.  Take one looking down at the shock tower from inside the engine bay.  That will help answer what the setup is.  

As Wayno suggested......swap the entire spindle assembly from a late 720 or hardbody.  Disconnect the two ball joints, tierod and the brake hose.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, they are definitely from a late model 620, and the 80 200sx was correct as well. Same exact part. Thank you everyone for the help, sorry for the spotty responses I was in the middle of moving. On the subject of "wtf am I looking at" I'd like to ask if anyone knows why I have this thing after my fuel filter, I've disconnected the lines around it to see if it was pumping fuel our doing anything, and it appears to just be there for the fun of it. Lol. Any more answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Look on pass side of head just forward of the #1 plug. Is there a mechanical pump? Is it connected up? Maybe it it is dodgy in the past and an electric was added to help it?

Does look more like a filter though.

• Like 1

It's definitely an electric diaphragm pump.  Instead of an arm on the cam moving the diaphragm, it uses an solenoid.  If it was running, it would make a clicking noise.  I've never run one, but I've had a couple of them.  They're good for siphoning fuel. :)

• Like 1

I think they did it thinking they needed more fuel. Because the pump that came with it is perfect. It definitely is bit clicking our doing anything. So my poor stock pump is sucking gas through another pump that's doing nothing..... Fml lol my poor pickup. Thank you guys. I can't tell you what a blessing it is too have people who know what they are talking about at the touch of a button.

• Like 1

So do you guys think bypass it and see, or leave it alone. I mean I feel like I'm having some sort of fuel restriction, possibly secondaries acting up. In 4th gear it won't budge over a few thousand rpm and its maxed out at about 50mph. But it has another gear and it's BARELY half way through 4th. 1st though 3rd, all the get up you could ask out of an old pickup but as soon as I hit 4th it has no more desire to move me down the road. I know they aren't race cars, but I know it has more than that. So im not sure if it's from that secondary filter holding me back, or if it's another underlying issue.

• Like 1