Cleaned out the garage....found my old Z

S30Jay

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess it's time for a pseudoupdate. I haven't made any progress on the Z but I do have pictures to post. I mentioned I've been working on the kitchen table project so I'll update you on the reason why Datsun progress has been not happening around here lately. 

It started with a barn sale my wife and I stopped at a month or so ago. No cool Datsuns anywhere to be found (I checked). But there was a large pile of rough sawn pine in the barn which I dragged home. I had no plan for it but I felt like buying it anyway. After I get it home my wife told me she'd really like to make a table for our kitchen from the lumber. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was covered in sawdust....

Started with some of these.

IMG_20160402_102724146_zps3bulkpe3.jpg

IMG_20160402_102711221_zpsrrfywfks.jpg

After many trips through the planer and jointer. This looked like a good top to me.

IMG_20160409_111044453_zps0fehaqz4.jpg

Clamped and glued

IMG_20160409_114537812_zpsigwec30a.jpg

Apron built, clamped, glued, biscuited, etc....

IMG_20160409_150254825_zps6qf2zpfm.jpg

And heres where I'm at with it

IMG_20160414_192356352_zpsplenatgn.jpg

I have a lot of sanding to do before I can finish it. It's going to have to wait awhile, the weather is getting really nice here in PA. I don't want to miss too much of the driving season, I can sand the table anytime. 

I'll be back on the Z this weekend at some point, and I'll leave you with a sneak peak of the thrifty engine bay paint job I've got going on.  

IMG_20160327_204848722_zpsi4ynshrz.jpg

You had me at "biscuits". Table looks nice.

Speaking of engine bay paint - does the Rustoleum/Krylon hold up and stay looking presentable under-hood? Is the hammered finish stronger? And do you guys that use it lay down rattle can primer first? I've used Rustoleum in mustang engine rooms and it seems to chip at the lightest of a tool-drop... But I could be doing it wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks Coda! I'm happy with it, more importantly so does my wife! :)

On the rustoleum, I don't know really. This is kind of an experiment for me, not sure how well it will hold up. I used a brushable primer just where the bare metal was, and I'm brushing on the paint too. I figured with kind of finish this paint has what the heck.

I like it better than I thought I would. Not sure on the durability....but it will be very easy to touch up!

Speaking of engine bay paint - does the Rustoleum/Krylon hold up and stay looking presentable under-hood? Is the hammered finish stronger? 

On the rustoleum, I don't know really. This is kind of an experiment for me, not sure how well it will hold up... I like it better than I thought I would. Not sure on the durability....but it will be very easy to touch up!

We've used it on a lot of stuff. Always holds up much better than regular spray paint. Not sure why, but it's a much tougher finish. Don't think I've ever chipped it...

• Like 1

Small victory this morning. 

IMG_20160422_124000582_zpsqizau3x3.jpg

Didn't realize until now how blurry that was. I need a better phone I guess, or maybe I need to clean it. Actually i definitely need to clean it. 

So the victory is that I reinstalled the left side control arm and T/C rod. The first two parts going back ON my car! The ball is finally moving in the right direction.

Also new tires for it were delivered. 

IMG_20160421_174649655_zpsyipqc1zr.jpg

• Like 2

Pictureless update.

Both control arms are reinstalled as of last night, new calipers, all the rusty plumbing has been replaced (I had 95% of that done before this weekend though). She's coming together.

I have differential mounts on the way, once they are here I can reinstall the rear. Then deal with the tank cleaning/strap fabbing, then it's onward to the engine.

That's my plan anyway......

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So last week a friend I haven't seen in about 10 years calls me up and tells me about a 260z for sale that he found. He has been looking at z's for awhile now and hasn't seen any that were nice enough. I haven't seen a decent one around here since the 90's. Anyway, he asked if I'd go with him to verify that everything was in order before making the purchase. So yesterday I did. I'm still recovering, that was one of the cleanest Z's.......datsuns in general actually, that I've ever seen. It's a two owner car, purchased by the second owner in 1974, and owned and raced locally ever since (hillclimbs and autocross, always garaged). Only 35k on the clock and undoubtedly correct. Lowered on Mulholland springs and struts, oversize Mulholland swaybars, Datsun competition steering wheel and 4:11 rear, and sporting 215/60 R14 tires on the "original" Western mesh wheels. Such a cool car, and owner for that matter, who insisted I drive it. It was a blast...and I told my friend he'd be foolish if he passed it up - he didn't. In fact he was picking it up today. Also made sure I get first refusal if he ever wants to cut it loose. :thumbup:  I'll definitely post pictures when I get some, I should have yesterday but I really didn't think of it.....I was too busy drooling over this thing.

Anyway with fresh motivation to get cracking on mine I was able to sneak 1/2 hour of garage time in after work today. I swapped out both the upper and lower diff mounts.

Original diff strap in all its glory. Not technically bad, but completely dry rotted and unflexible. I'm sure as soon as I start driving this regularly this would become a problem. 

IMG_20160502_172947122_zpsuyykvsof.jpg

Replaced with new strap from zcardepot, which seems like a really short timing belt?  :confused:  IDK, hopefully it holds up.

IMG_20160502_174926825_zps4vqmj45v.jpg

Also bought this little gem

IMG_20160502_175129928_zpspp5akrah.jpg

Installed

IMG_20160502_180906312_zps9hdk5ntw.jpg

• Like 1

Last nights "work" 

Started by trying to clean up some of the taillight trim, seems to be working - also totally unnecessary as it doesn't help me get on the road. I still can't explain why I felt that needed to be done.

Eeeeeewwwww

IMG_20160507_105907227_zpsqbdljjcd.jpg

Better

IMG_20160507_105857805_zpsjxbaj0jd.jpg

Then I pulled the rear strut because it was clunking last I had it on the road. I figured I'd find a loose strut nut......NOPE. Bad strut. So I started on the gas tank straps. Got one finished before I was out of energy. Don't be jealous of my fancy brake.  :rofl:

IMG_20160507_224157953_zpskbxukdsj.jpg

Done (sort of)

IMG_20160507_225934823_zpsy8af6zxu.jpg

Gonna start hitting this thing harder than I've been. More updates on the way.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 3

Made up my other gas tank strap last night, then decided I should add some gussets for longevity. Seemed like the factory had done something similar so why not. 

IMG_20160509_224725196_zpsc9cqodsh.jpg

IMG_20160509_224046232_zpsy5ysfwdu.jpg

IMG_20160509_224743940_zpssinsjuvu.jpg

Some paint and heat shrink and they are done like the dishes. 

Got my replacement strut for the right rear (kyb) today. Only replacing one because I replaced all 4 before I parked it - they have less than 1k miles on them. Normally I'd at least do the pair. Also I have a fresh exhaust coming from Motorsport Auto. 

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 2

So I just lowered the engine back in. I'm still surprised by the struggle it put up.....I'm a little ashamed to admit it. Took a few tries and probably could have used a helper.

Im pretty sure I figured out all the ways you can't put an L engine in a Z. Hoping to get back out to do the same with the trans later this week. The next few days I'll be tied up so thinking Friday night?

I did say I'd wrangle the trans in on Friday right? 

I am starting to question my mojo though......after the engine install challenge I figured I'd bring my A game for the trans. It went relatively smoothly.....as in nothing got broke and I didn't sustain any injuries, oh yeah and I did manage to get it in there. I did have a hell of a time lining up the one dowel on the lower drivers side though. On my back in the driveway the way I used to put transmissions in I would expect that - but on a lift? I ended up having to improvise with a jack, a 2 x 4, sawhorses, 6 x 6 blocks and a big prybar.

IMG_20160520_222514116_zpsmx5ks1mp.jpg

IMG_20160520_222526645_zpsqm1gzg78.jpg

but victory was mine.  :thumbup:

Everything is tight, slave is mounted, speedo cable connected.....I think that was it for now. 

IMG_20160520_225833327_zpsklmt3h5b.jpg

• Like 4