Motor swap on my 81 Datsun from an 85

Lakec423

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '81 will be a Z22 carb engine.

The '85 is a Z24 but could be carb, electronic feedback carb, or if late '85 (after April) could be throttle body injection.

If it's the throttle body engine the air filter has two wing nuts holding it on and the wiring won't work for the fuel injection/CAS.

If the feedback carb there is a round six wire plug at the back and the wiring to the engine harness won't match. (usually found on California only trucks)

If just a simple carburetor engine and the '85 engine is complete, it should just drop in.

If you keep and use the Z24 clutch and flywheel you must also use the '85 release bearing collar or holder... it's matched to the Z24 clutch. The Z22 is different. Be sure to get a new bearing.

If using the Z22 flywheel and clutch then just put it together. Always replace the bearing with a new one.

• Like 1

Wiring is different because of the carb being feedback (electronically controlled). It's even more different if it's fuel injected. But, you can always remove the carb and install a Weber 32/36 in its place and thereby bypass that problem.

FI swap is doable. Google "Nissan nut z24" if you need the info. The guy has a decent write up on the conversion.

• Like 1

my 81 there a panel on the driver side under the hood that has 6 wires going to it will thoes matter when puttin the motor in from the 85 and it is carb no injection so all I gotta do is take the fly wheel off the 81 and put it on the 85 then every thing should go together correctly I will buy the new bearing also the clutch is a month old or so

• Like 1

Pics would help, but I believe you are talking about distributor wiring. Is it a small panel up toward the front, 3 wires going in on each side? Open it up and the wires are bolted together?

The 85 has the same wiring, just with an improved connector. Best bet would be to cut the connector out of the 85 and wire it in to the 81.

• Like 1

I'm gonna keep the plug in the way it is on the 85 motor I just have to change the female plug side I just don't know what wires i should connect to on the female side on the 81 the wires coming from the distributer are on the left and the ones I need to wire to the female plug is on the right5DA07B75-50FA-499B-9FFD-F1CBF87A4819_zps

• Like 1

my 81 there a panel on the driver side under the hood that has 6 wires going to it will thoes matter when puttin the motor in from the 85 and it is carb no injection so all I gotta do is take the fly wheel off the 81 and put it on the 85 then every thing should go together correctly I will buy the new bearing also the clutch is a month old or so

The '85 has a larger stronger 240mm clutch than the Z22's 225mm. As you have everything there all you need do is put the '85 release bearing collar on the '81 clutch arm and it will work just fine. Naturally replace the bearing. I think I covered this on the other post. Maybe we should close or merge this one with it????

If the '81 has a newer clutch or the '85 clutch is bad then go with the '81 but otherwise the larger Z24 should keep the larger 240mm clutch..

• Like 1

The 81 is a new clutch so I'll use it i already have the motor pulled on the 81 im going to start on the 85 sometime Tommarro

tomorrow  (no capitol... lultz)

I don't get why some people on here are so anal loosin up lol

Just like stereotypes, there a reason for this. When asking a question it sure helps to communicate clearly what the problem is and what you are asking. It shouldn't be up to the reader (who want's to help you) to decipher and punctuate the text to make it, make sense. If something isn't spelled or explained properly, much time can be wasted, wrong info given and it's bloody aggravating. Take the time, install a spellcheck and use it. You may know what you mean, and your homies may, but we might not.

• Like 1

Probably. The Z24 had three wires One to power the dizzy and two to work the two coils, with a forth white wire. Thhe white wire was for shutting off the dual plugs so 4 all together. The EFI engine had a CAS crank angle sensor and that is a totally different thing.

• Like 1

If you have the Z24I (throttle body injected engine) the distributor will not swap.  The timing cover for the Z24I engine is different then the Z24 carbed engine.

Research before buying parts is always a good thing.

Read the Nissan nut article you will find out that he gave up trying to swap Z24 I parts to a Z24 carbed engine and purchased a Z24I engine complete.

I have studied changing my 86 720 King Cab over to the Z24I engine.  I am making my swap even harder by swapping in a 4 speed automatic transmission also.

For me to do this I have to use the wiring and ECM (Engine Control Module) and the TCM (Transmission Control Module) from a Hardbody/D21 truck.

I have to pull the wires I need from my 720 harness and morph them into the Hardbody wiring and controllers.  It would be far easier for me to swap a KA automatic then the Z24I.

The KA swap is much better documented.

You likely can just change the distributors. I was mistakenly thinking that distributor shaft length differed between the two, but it's the mid shaft that is different, so you can likely just swap them.

• Like 1