720 custom fab resto Questions

tecktinkershop

If you really want to strip the column, try checking out maybe some mid 60s datsun pickups for column and dash switches. They are very simple in design. I'm basically done retrofitting 82 720 wiring into a 71 510, so I know the wiring can be moved around with a little work.

Most early Datsun pickups have a column that bolts to the steering box with the shaft inside, ie- no exposed shaft. If you did this, you'd have to cut and modify the column. I've done it, but it usually requires use of a 720 shaft, as the steering wheel hub splines are the same, or a DD joint at the bottom of the shaft.

• Like 2
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a dash cover for the 720, there are a lot of different colors, just search "720 dash cover" on ebay, this link is for a black cover, I just cannot bring myself to post the link to the red one, sorry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coverlay-10-720-BLK-Black-Dashboard-Cover-/301831280610?fits=Model%3A720&hash=item46468bd7e2:g:SIUAAOSwhkRWeFMe&vxp=mtr

Take my word for this, as like Charlie I have used a 720 wiring harness in a 520 and 521, and integrated it into the 521 dash cluster, the 720 wiring harness is to complicated to do what you want to do, and unless you are a wiring EXPERT, you are going to fail, if you look at the headlight switch plug, it doesn't have one black wire in it, and none of the headlights have a ground either, it's a really strange circuit, but it works.

Just use the stock column with the stock switches, and you will save yourself a lot of frustration.

• Like 1

The steering wheel I purchased from a member parting a 521.  However this is not a 521 steering wheel.  I have been told it is a 710 wheel.  I do not know i just liked it when I saw it.

Wayno is correct unless you are a master electrical guy do not mess with the 740 wiring.  I have made major changes to the 1980 720 harness for my 520 but I have been doing automotive wiring for over 40 years.