Datsun Motorhome?!?! THEY DO EXIST!!!!! (1984 720 mini truck camper / 85 Nissan Lakeview)

Having been a total RV novice when I inherited this vintage diamond in the rough, I had no idea what I was in for with this particular model. But I am here to tell you how much I have learned since then & even have an opportunity to add to that knowledge, I'm hoping!

Apparently the official conversion of Datsun into Nissan occurred in 84/85. As the plaques mounted on door panels & registration for my motorhome read

84 Datsun 720 --with matching Vin which clears in any system and on the title as

85 Nissan Lakeview MH

All the ornamentation/accessories/plaques etc are Nissan but everything produced on the original chassis prior to being sent to

Keystone ,where the coach was manufactured & bolted onto the frame--is Datsun right down to the striping/ color scheme , interior of cab, even the headlights all characterize a classic Datsun look.

I wonder if the overall lack of information regarding Datsun/Nissan participation in the MH market is more an indication of -the level to which production was limited (which seems excessive I've heard some say only 6 Sunraders were built on Nissan chassis with 6 cylinder) Or if perhaps the company chose to remove itself and possibly even the association as they progressed to a more sporty approach quickly after debuting the Z engine.

This RV has a

4cyl 5spd Z24

dual spark

carb

literally IDENTICAL to a Toyota (Escaper, huntsman, Granville are the matching models I've encountered)

but with an equally reliable but more powerful engine-

5spd manual while Toyota offered only 4spd until much later

floating rear diff w 6 lug design & Toyota prior to 87 were recalled for issues involving dually safety.....

But apparently all these advantages were overlooked at the time & will probably continue to be as I've spent nearly a year doing diligent research & have found 1 photo of the same make/model.

1.......which sold on NY several years ago & had fully renovated/upgraded interior (making it indistinguishable from anything else seen around) I have always enjoyed a owning anything unique & a little exclusive to me but in this case it seems tragic to take something so original & characterized by the story it can tell..Personally, I wouldn't wall paper over a Picasso even if it wasn't all that pretty to look at ...we can't all appreciate a classic, I digress.

I am hoping someone here can offer some additional insight/information.... I think I have about exhausted all the expertise I have acquired so far & am ready for more!

References, photos (how can I post a photo here?), omg manuals if I dare to dream! Any knowledge is appreciated!!!!!

Rat-on sun!

THANKS

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MH conversions would normally start with a Cab/Chassis option 720. The VIN would start with the letter E. This is just a cab on a frame usually with dual wheel axles and otherwise a stock 720. Before '82 only 4 speeds were used and there were no diesel Cab/Chassis trucks.

There would be no 6 cylinder 720 MH as there were no 6 cylinder option until the new D21 Hardbody in '86.5 came out to replace the 720.

I think we have several MH style 620/720s here. Please post some pictures and welcome to Ratsun.... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/

• Like 1
  • 7 years later...

I have the exact 84' lakeview, fun fact you don't see many because they only made five! And as much as I wanted to believe it was a datsun 720 its actually a nissan pickup cutaway. Your VIN starts with JN, these were manufactured in japan and were built to JDM spec for Japan but last minute switched to left hand drive and sold in irvine califorina.  I have all ALL the manuals!!!! Including for all the appliances, I Know this is an old post but I hope you still have it and I hope you see this! I have have paint codes or every color, every single part number for the truck and camper, manufacturer information, you name it!! Would love to share with you

FB_IMG_1670788771000~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788780548~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788786011~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788793655.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788840865~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788853107.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788860194.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788886888.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788892140.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 10:00 AM, Spresti71 said:

I have the exact 84' lakeview, fun fact you don't see many because they only made five! And as much as I wanted to believe it was a datsun 720 its actually a nissan pickup cutaway. Your VIN starts with JN, these were manufactured in japan and were built to JDM spec for Japan but last minute switched to left hand drive and sold in irvine califorina.  I have all ALL the manuals!!!! Including for all the appliances, I Know this is an old post but I hope you still have it and I hope you see this! I have have paint codes or every color, every single part number for the truck and camper, manufacturer information, you name it!! Would love to share with you

FB_IMG_1670788771000~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788780548~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788786011~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788793655.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788840865~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788853107.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788860194.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788886888.jpg

FB_IMG_1670788892140.jpg

Ah man this is awesome! I just got Sunrader version of this. My VIN also starts with JN. So would this make mine a Nissan cutaway as well?

Either way, I would LOVE to see all the paint code, part number, manufacturer info you have. I’m sure a lot of stuff is the same with mine and it sure is hard finding specific parts for this thing. 

After '81 all VINs were standardized. Before this every maker had their own 'VIN' codes. JN just means made in Japan Nissan as opposed to 1N made in Kentucky plant for some '84 and up trucks.

Find the engine tag riveted to the inner right fender under the hood hings. Cab/Chassis trucks such as used for campers begin with an E and are sold without the box.

• 1 month later...

I've found a 1984 Nissan 720 datsun with 78k and a Huntsman camper on it. Vin starts with JN.

Main thing is I can't find anything like it at all. I heard Huntsman was Toyota but the truck part is definitely from Japan.

How and where do I start looking for more information about this specific model?

Screenshot_20230617-211600_Facebook.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...