Questions on Head Gasket work B210 A15 w/H72 oval port head

az_rat210

Question 1:

1) Does this look like its a metal gasket and if so, am I better off using it.09-40502__ra_p.jpg

2) What are you all using to sand/clean off the mating surfaces.

3) My intake gaskets looks to be in good condition, not sure whether to reuse it or not.  Was thinking of buying a new one from rockauto see below.  But it says its an H7410 and mine is a H72 head.  H7410 is supposed to be round port not oval according to Datsun 1200 tech wiki.

MS227711_P04_TOP__ra_p.jpg

Would prefer a copper protected one but it's na on rockauto.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be metal. Metal (usually annealed soft copper) are best used on high compression or turbo engines to better seal the pressures in. Both surfaces must be freshly milled very smooth and flat surfaces. Metal does not fill in any small imperfections in the head or the block. You can try a sealer like CopperKote but smooth is best. Softer composite gaskets are best over all on normal compression engines and do not ever need sealers to work..

A light brass wire wheel on the block deck, it's hard and will take it. If wire wheeling the soft aluminum head just be more careful.

Do not ever use an old manifold gasket. Not worth having it vacuum or water leak and have to pull it off again. No need for sealers ever.

I would recommend using a razor blad or gasket scraper to get the large bits off and then a fine wire wheel (I use steel wire), but use it gently, or even just a wire brush. Then finish the surface with a piece of medium grit sandpaper wrapped around a flat piece of steel or wood.

NEVER use the roloc discs that so many people suggest. Yes they make cleaning gasket surfaces easy, but they also ruin the flat surface.

NEVER use the roloc discs that so many people suggest. Yes they make cleaning gasket surfaces easy, but they also ruin the flat surface.

I've been hearing this a lot lately. Are you referring to the scotchbrite pad style or the ones with all the little hard plastic fingers? I can see the scotchbrite ones causing damage, but what about the others?

• Like 2

Question 1:

1) Does this look like its a metal gasket and if so, am I better off using it.09-40502__ra_p.jpg

2) What are you all using to sand/clean off the mating surfaces.

3) My intake gaskets looks to be in good condition, not sure whether to reuse it or not.  Was thinking of buying a new one from rockauto see below.  But it says its an H7410 and mine is a H72 head.  H7410 is supposed to be round port not oval according to Datsun 1200 tech wiki.

MS227711_P04_TOP__ra_p.jpg

Would prefer a copper protected one but it's na on rockauto.

I know ITM, probably not a true metal gasket on the sealing surfaces, they will seal just fine, DO NOT use any gaskets from DNJ!