weber 32/36 rich/lean condition

Oscarmaier

Brand new weber 32/36 (from Weber carbs direct) put on a freshly rebuilt L18 seems to be running rich at idle, lean just off idle, evens out until the secondary opens and then runs lean again all this checked with a ColorTune. The idle adjusting screw is turned out 1.5 turns from bottom and 20* of timing just to idle smoothly. I have not messed with any of the jets, just installed it straight out of the box. This is my first experience with carbs and I'm trying to learn as I go, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stabbing in the dark with my Weber until I tried the step by step approach outlined here. http://sv3power.com/?page_id=371  Then, it all fell into place for me and it is now peace in the valley. I may yet tweak my tune, but I have a grasp on how to dial it in now. It really works great once you get it right with the engine. Just sayin’.

• Like 3

12 Deg seems to be the sweet spot for the L series.. like i said though, I prefer 16. There's no concern at 16, but thats pushing it. I have to run premium or it pings under load and high rpm.

Honestly, the first thing to do is be sure the valves are adjusted correctly. Then timing (ignition and cam timing....) Then finally you can tune the carb.