Rebuilt L20b Timing chain noise (by the oiler)

Draker

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the valve cover off and you have a direct shot to the sound.... if it is the chain.  You might even see what's causing it while it's running. If you have a spare valve cover cut the front off and install so the oil doesn't spray all over. Taking the chain cover off is too drastic right now and you won't see or hear it running.

Sounds like any L series to me.

That's what I first thought also.But I think I heard a grinding

last time I had that my tensioner was out and cocked 45 deg upward thus wearing the bottom thin side of the shoe which was going to metal.

tother time the tight side guide I ran a longer screw in the stat housing thus pushing the guide over to much hitting the chain on the downward slope.

• Like 1

Did you try it with the belt off??? This eliminates belt, alternator and water pump bearing sounds.

I have done nothing but walk past the car for the last few weeks. I feel like I've isolated the sound pretty well with the stethoscope. It's not a grinding noise. It's a timing chain noise.

Take the valve cover off and you have a direct shot to the sound.... if it is the chain.  You might even see what's causing it while it's running. If you have a spare valve cover cut the front off and install so the oil doesn't spray all over. Taking the chain cover off is too drastic right now and you won't see or hear it running.

Did you try it with the belt off??? This eliminates belt, alternator and water pump bearing sounds.

Process of elimination. Do the easy simple things first. If you remove the timing chain cover and find nothing obviously wrong (because that's all you'll be able to do is look) then what do you do? I've seen weird things that made no sense before. Like a distributor that instead of the timing advancing it retarded as it revved up.

• Like 1

Process of elimination. Do the easy simple things first. If you remove the timing chain cover and find nothing obviously wrong (because that's all you'll be able to do is look) then what do you do? I've seen weird things that made no sense before. Like a distributor that instead of the timing advancing it retarded as it revved up.

I already pulled the valve cover and ran it. The result was oil splattered all over my engine bay followed immediately by a trip to the car wash to clean it. lol. The chain was not flopping around and there was no sign of anything loose. I looked back through the thread and I guess I didn't post those details in here.

It's possible the oil pump/dizzy shaft is making some funky noises down at the crank. The sound is 100% coming from the drivers side by the front cover. Not the water pump, not the alternator and not even on the passenger side of the front cover. But I do totally agree with you and value your feedback. It is likely something weird. It has me puzzled.. but it distinctly sounds like a timing chain noise. I wouldn't even be concerned, except for it seems to be getting worse.

Yeah, it's tight, and torqued.

Not good. Well it will have to be obvious like something loose or broken. Crank bolt tight? Did I ask this yet? It holds the oil slinger, spindle drive and chain drive snug on the crank. I think 100-120 ft lbs?

Look on the underside of the water pump behind the pulley. There's a weeping hole. Is there any indication that it's been leaking any coolant?

Lwaterpump014Large.jpg

If the seal fails, this lets the water out so it doesn't get into the bearing and seize it. It will eventually, but it's assumed the owner will find this first and replace the pump. You have to take the pump off anyway to remove the timing cover. Just give it a spin, see if the bearing is iffy.

• Like 1