Has anyone swapped Datsun 620/521 Body onto RN25 Chassis?

windowless66

Just stripping an RN25 and got to thinking swapping the front clip would get rid of all the clearance issues of the torsion bars.

Did a bit of googling and couldn't find much but found a 521 with a narrowed 80's hilux front clip 

I couldn't see why a full body swap wouldn't be possible and if anyone had already tried it?  Would solve exhaust clearance issues on engine swaps, and instant 5 stud conversion. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone sells a coil over kit for the front that replaces the shock towers and allows you to remove the bars... Might be easier.... Unless there are other benefits....

Only other benefit I could see is because I'm in Australia, Really hard to get parts certified over here.

It could be a dumb Idea :P  Just thought I'd ask before I sent the chassis off to scrap.

RN25 is the older toyota hilux. 

i mean, yeah its possible, but why not just do coilovers on the existing suspension on the 521.. a lot less work than a body swap. 

if you want 5 lug, convert it to d21 2wd suspension, and use a toyota 5 lug hub adapter kit. put a hilux rear in it. 

• Like 1

Chassis swaps are great if the benefit outweighs the cost. If all you are gaining is a 5 lug, it may not be worth it. You can never completely hide the fact that a body has been swapped onto another chassis. Even if you are a really good fabricator, there will always be signs. Whenever I do a chassis or body swap, I am sure to identify the key elements that I want to show off and I try really hard to minimize the features that will give it away.

In other words, do it right, or don't do it at all.

• Like 2

As he said... Aftermarket parts(like a coil over kit) need government approval to be legal. Unless he can find an Aus. made kit, he would be SOL...   I guess you must be able to swap factory parts without issue?   Check the frame dimensions.  Maybe you could do a front frame clip from the Toyota. Then you wouldn't have to worry about as much as far as cab mounting, bed mounting, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks Stoffregen and Eric, Yeah engineers like to use factory made bits or parts specifically from conversion places that have been certified by other engineers because then it covers them if something goes wrong. Cutting chassis is a big no no here too or the frame clip would definately be the go.

Body swaps are a bit less restricted, Probably because of the old coachbuilding days of our automotive industry. The vehicle is registered as whatever the chassis is and all the regulations that go along with the year of the chassis apply. 

If you build a rod on a newly built chassis all the regulations that now apply to a vehicle in Australia apply airbags etc, But if you body swap onto another existing chassis only the rules that applied to that vehicle will apply. :P

I'm looking at holding onto the front cross-member and seeing if mounting that to the chassis would be an option. 

Thanks for the advice guys and not mocking me too much ;)

• Like 1

Take some measurements to see how feasible this idea is going to be.  Take note of the mounting points, vertical rises in the frame, tire positions and steering component placement.  I  think you just about need both frames side by side to analyze.  Projects like this are kind of a trial error process sometimes.  It looks like it may work until something doesn't line up and anticipating every engineering obstacle is nearly impossible.  Ultimately, it's up to you what can be done or not.

• Like 1

You know, I've been reading up more and more on Australia, and while I would LOVE to visit there eventually, fuck me running, I thought California was bad with anti-car enthusiast crap!  Hell, I could GLUE a front suspension from a Pathfinder onto a 510 and drive it around Spokane without issue!

• Like 1

You know, I've been reading up more and more on Australia, and while I would LOVE to visit there eventually, fuck me running, I thought California was bad with anti-car enthusiast crap!  Hell, I could GLUE a front suspension from a Pathfinder onto a 510 and drive it around Spokane without issue!

The cops in Spokane have better things to do, I watch cops and you guys are on there alot.

• Like 2