Anyone know anything about "cal cams"

Oregon_PLG222

I picked up a L-motor head this week. I'm pretty sure it is a peanut head. It's got the kidney bean shaped recesses.

It has a cam in it with writing and engraving on the end. It says,

Cal cams

11-8-96-W or, read upside down it's,

M-96-8-11

It also says "Lash pads 200"

Anyone know anything about this?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All L heads have a kidney bean sort of shape.

Open chamber Head. The combustion chamber is round and extends over the piston top

motorW-58openL20B78620.jpg

Only the closed chamber or 'peanut' head (below) has a combustion chamber that does not completely extend over the entire piston top. At top dead center some of the piston is only the thickness of the head gasket away from the under side of the head surface.

210peanuthead37cc002.jpg

What's the normal compression on a stock L20?

I'm going to measure the cam lobes tomorrow on a stock one and compare them to the cal cams one.

The head has been sitting a long time and its got some oxidation and the cam lobes need cleaned up.

I might put this head on my 30k original mile L20 and stick the weber carb on it. I also have some headers but I heard something about putting them on; like it's hard to tune or something.

just measure the lobe and then 90degs but likea number of .233 up then multiply by 1.48 or most do 1.50 this will hive lift.

If good and not bad I would not take the head apart since most likely its set up already.

But if you just go to have to as most Datsun people remove the rocker arms and put back from where they cam from do no mix match.

once rockers removed spin the cam see if ez to spin this will shows a straight head hoe it still has some oil on it

Closed chamber on stock lower L20 is fine.

I would run dual mikunis if possible

Here's a couple pics of the head and cam. Yes, Banzai510, I would love to run dual mikunis. But, probably not a option since I don't have any and I'm guessing they're pretty spendy. I do have several sets of carbs from 67 roadster. I'm not sure if they would work and what manifold I'd need.

Anyway, you can see the cam info in the pic.

20150809_140437_zpsilmj2glv.jpg

20150809_140424_zpsx7xmarmh.jpg

20150809_140404_zpsxvlxb0zq.jpg

20150806_171842_zpswpjt2fxl.jpg

Any info helps

I haven't had a chance to try to clean it up yet but I think its just grime on the lobes. I was going to try to take it into the shop tomorrow and see what they say about going through it and cleaning it up.

To Mike's comment about it not being an L20B head, do you recognize what it might be? There's very little markings. Will it work (do any good) on an L20B?

On the non-manifold side, there is an "S" between # 2 and 3. There is an "M" on the side of the timing chain cover. There is a "7" on the end that would be facing the firewall.

That's it for markings that I can see.

I don't have a loose L20 manifold to try on it. But, I have a set of headers that fit right up on it.

Any ideas as to what it is from?

BTW- I bet that rust on the cam can be taken off with emery cloth and WD40. Even a cam surface can stand a little pitting from rust. There's a point at which it can be bad, but a little usually doesn't hurt.

Cal Cams was a cam grinder in the SF bay area. They made many of the best L series cam grinds and a lot of proprietary grinds for Rebello. I think they closed up shop not too long ago.

• Like 1

I am picking up a motor next week with a Cal Cams camshaft in it so was interested in this posting. Cal Cams was a speed shop out of Oakland, CA who did a lot of muscle car cams but also did Datsun ones also. I wasn't sure the quality of their grinds but it sounds like they did good stuff. 

Here's a couple pics of the head and cam. Yes, Banzai510, I would love to run dual mikunis. But, probably not a option since I don't have any and I'm guessing they're pretty spendy. I do have several sets of carbs from 67 roadster. I'm not sure if they would work and what manifold I'd need.

Anyway, you can see the cam info in the pic.

20150809_140437_zpsilmj2glv.jpg

20150809_140424_zpsx7xmarmh.jpg

20150809_140404_zpsxvlxb0zq.jpg

20150806_171842_zpswpjt2fxl.jpg

Any info helps

That's a M96B on 111 lobe centers.

Unfortunaltely I don't remember what a M96 was. You could either take the cam out and send it to a cam grinder and have him spec it or you could try calling Rebello. Dave would probably know off the top of his head.

I am picking up a motor next week with a Cal Cams camshaft in it so was interested in this posting. Cal Cams was a speed shop out of Oakland, CA who did a lot of muscle car cams but also did Datsun ones also. I wasn't sure the quality of their grinds but it sounds like they did good stuff. 

Yes, they made top shelf parts.

Thanks. That's very helpful. I am curious to find out more on the "219" head and what makes it special.

When I grabbed this, my thought was to puti it on an L20B along with a weber and the headers and drop it in my 70 510.

I was told by previous owner the car has an L18 with an L16 head. I have not verified that.

The car had sat for 20 years. I went through all brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, masters, etc. I also put the weber on it. It runs nice and smooth now. But, I figure the L20b with this head, etc. would be a pretty good setup.

Obviously, I need to take it into the shop and have them clean it up/check it out.

The 219 head is a large port, high compression, big valve head. They came on the "SSS" motors from Japan and can easily handle dual 40's or even 44's with the right exhaust, cam, distributor curve, etc.

I have heard of them selling for big bucks as the vintage racing crowd likes to use them for thier authenticity.

Ironically, I gave one away last year. It was the last Datsun part I had and I didn't know why I was hanging on to it. I'll never own another Datsun. You can never go home again.

• 1 year later...