A good swap for 521

Lazy620

Fab skills I have none but most of my fam bold cars and are good welders so they will be help me and showing me how to do the fab that's needed next week or sometimes this month my cuz going to help with looking at my frame and renfocing the frame were it needs it and I wanted to try and do a vq swap but some dude u taled me out of it cuz it's to much fab work and some older cat said to just do a smal Chevy motor on it but I want to stay with Nissan motors but I been looking and all I see is sr or ka and I wanted to know if theirs anything else out their like the dude on the first comment said the Lz witch never came up when looking for swaps

why do you need to re inform the frame? its a boxed frame already.

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read up on all your choices so you know what you're getting in to. Decide if you got a Datsun cause it's cool right now or if you are a real Datsun guy, this may help you with your choice. When I first got mine I was thinking sr or ka but decided to just run the l20b in it for a time, I later found I detested the buzzy sound of the newer engines coming out of a classic Datsun, even though I dig it in a 240sx or Silvia. Just run it a bit, you may find you really like a Datsun and end up building a nasty L series.

• Like 2

Drive it. Get it running as well as you are able and drive it to get experience. All fluids will need changing... rad coolant/anti-freeze, engine oil and filter, transmission oil, differential oil. Brakes can be bled and the hydraulic fluid changed. Brakes will need some work and definitely adjustment. Engine will need some tune up and maintenance. Suspension and steering checked for wear and alignment. You will need this no matter what engine you decide to go with anyway and you are getting to know your Datsun. Get a FSM (factory service manual) from Nissan on line from e-bay, these are hands down the bible for work directions and specs. Haynes and Chilton's are only ok but will do.

Find out what's wrong and fix it, learn how to fix it. There are probably hundreds of years of experience, info and help here. If it's been done, we've probably done it. Seems to me that making $10 to pay a mechanic $50 an hour to change spark plugs is counter productive. Spend good money on good tools, (they don't have to be name brand or expensive) for what you need. Buy something every paycheck. Best investment you will ever make are tools and knowledge for yourself.

This time next year you will have a good solid runner and be in an excellent position to look at some more power.

Start a build thread in Projects. I find them self energising and you will want to get stuff done to post about your progress. Additionally others will post encouraging comments.

• Like 1

thanks for your help ppl i think i kinda know what i want but i got to get the suspension done right and i need to get the motor running like it should be cuz this is my daily  first thing I'm doing is redoing all the gaskets on the motor cuz right now she is a leaker 

and adjusting the valves 

Drive it. Get it running as well as you are able and drive it to get experience. All fluids will need changing... rad coolant/anti-freeze, engine oil and filter, transmission oil, differential oil. Brakes can be bled and the hydraulic fluid changed. Brakes will need some work and definitely adjustment. Engine will need some tune up and maintenance. Suspension and steering checked for wear and alignment. You will need this no matter what engine you decide to go with anyway and you are getting to know your Datsun. Get a FSM (factory service manual) from Nissan on line from e-bay, these are hands down the bible for work directions and specs. Haynes and Chilton's are only ok but will do.

Find out what's wrong and fix it, learn how to fix it. There are probably hundreds of years of experience, info and help here. If it's been done, we've probably done it. Seems to me that making $10 to pay a mechanic $50 an hour to change spark plugs is counter productive. Spend good money on good tools, (they don't have to be name brand or expensive) for what you need. Buy something every paycheck. Best investment you will ever make are tools and knowledge for yourself.

This time next year you will have a good solid runner and be in an excellent position to look at some more power.

Start a build thread in Projects. I find them self energising and you will want to get stuff done to post about your progress. Additionally others will post encouraging comments.

. This ^

Now I got a KA swap it's doable and fun ! Not that expensive compared to my Honda Jdm type r days and it's faster than any Hondas I've ever had KA24DE ftw !

• Like 1