01 xterra into 720 4x4 questions

Speedbuggy16v

I have a chance to buy a complete 2 wheel drive 2001 xterra with the KA24DE motor, and a 5 speed manual trans. My old 86 720 4x4 needs a clutch and trans work anyway, so is this a doable swap? I will have the whole xterra to rob the fuel system and electronics off of, so I am not concerned there. But will it physically fit? From what I have read, I am guessing custom oil pan, mounts, and most likely a drive shaft. Any other hurdles? Or at worst case would the trans swap relatively easily ?

Thanks

Speed

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, finally someone with a clue... Donor vehicles are the way to go with an engine swap.

I would use as much from the donor as possible. Electronics, brakes, fuel system, A/C, hell, you may even find some interior pieces that fit and look good.

Yes it will fit. Go for it!

• Like 3

the xterra has some body alignment issues........its was in a HARD rollover, still runs and drives but its all over but the crying for it!  Thanks Stoffregen Motorsports,  I have been at this for a while, just not so much nissans.  I used to design and fab long travel sand cars, and worked in the VW side of the industry for years.  So I allways look for the easy way out, LOL.  The other toy is a samurai with a VW diesel in it.

Speed

Then you want just the engine and 5 speed. Adjust the primary driveshaft length to fit the 720's transfer case. 2wd front brakes are not going to work on a 720 4x4, rears may be disc and the Xterra (2wd at least) probably used the H-190 axle. .

Yes, finally someone with a clue... Donor vehicles are the way to go with an engine swap.

I would use as much from the donor as possible. Electronics, brakes, fuel system, A/C, hell, you may even find some interior pieces that fit and look good.

Yes it will fit. Go for it!

I totally agree with this statement. Having the entire donor there for parts and pieces will be nicer than you think. As for fitment, it will fit just fine. Go for it!

Then you want just the engine and 5 speed. Adjust the primary driveshaft length to fit the 720's transfer case. 2wd front brakes are not going to work on a 720 4x4, rears may be disc and the Xterra (2wd at least) probably used the H-190 axle

They ran the H190 that far?     Factory H190 disk brakes?  :frantics:   That would be pretty cool. 

• Like 1

h190 was done in 97 for the most part. 

they used the h233 in the frontier and xterra. i guess first year frontier used an h190, but changed 2nd year to the h233. still had mostly d21 underpinnings in 98... heres more info...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/all-you-needed-to-know-about-nissan-axles-through-2004-t233955.html

id say do a body swap if the xterra frame isnt too trashed.

main thing I was after was updated engine and a trans that was not in need of repair, staying with the 4x4 chassis and underpinings if I do it.  This is one of those "it sounded like a great idea at the time" projects.  I would like it in the end, but its a lot of work to do when I could simply have the trans rebuilt.

Speed

I have a customer with a 2000 Xterra that has been SAS'd and it has a H233 in the rear with drum brakes. We upgraded to (Pathfinder?) rear discs, which work well, but the parking brake is an issue. The stock Xterra parking brake handle doesn't have enough leverage to actuate the parking brake fully.