W58 closed vs W53

67_1600

I'm building an LZ2.3 stroker and am trying to decide which head to use. I found that my W58 head is a closed chambered head and also have a W53 head. The W53 has the smaller 33mm exhaust valves, but I was going to just pull the 35mm valves from the W58 and use them instead if I went that route.

My setup is below - which would be best suited for my build? 

Block: L20b bored to 87.75mm

Crank: Z24

Pistons: Z22E

Cam: Ground to the equivalent of a CompCams 260 grind (260 duration, 0.42 lift). Fairly mild with an RPM range from 1k to 5k (perfect for my driving habits)

My compression should come in somewhere between 9.6 and 9.7:1 based on the OZDat compression calculator.

The majority of my driving will be between 2.5k and 4k and I'll rarely wind it up to even 5k. The W53 head has smaller intake ports but then there are the steel liners in the exhaust ports of the W58. Given my relatively low RPM range, would the smaller intake ports be more beneficial for me?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Always go with the highest port air speed that does not choke off top end performance. Also remove the material around the shrouded valves. This is critical on a larger displacement larger bore engine.

W58, or if u want to run open chambered, a u67.

What mike said,

I would still go with the biggest valve biggest port head you can get your hands on. One with 1 3/8 ports with the big stock valves would keep it a stump puller anyway.

Thanks for the replies...

I did consider removing the liners and had run across some threads describing the process, but Mike's recommendation (unless I interpreted it incorrectly) kind of confirmed what I was thinking - based on my build and RPM range I'll typically be running, the smaller ports of the W53 producing a higher air speed will be a better fit.