Ah.. Flywheels..

scooter

Has anyone tried running a 225mm ka-e flywheel in place of a normal l series 225mm flywheel? Is it safe to assume the crank flange is the same? What about ring gear size?

The reason behind this is i found out ACT has a lightened flywheel that is sfi approved, which is kinda safer than the turned down one i have now. Its for ka-e, and de in 225 mm.

Any info would be awesome.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will fit. The KA and the Z24i used the same transmission. Starter ring are in the same place and size, 6 mounting bolts. I have a KA24E crank and a half dozen L and Z series wheels. The crank has a small brass dowel to line up on the KA wheel but easy enough to knock it off and see if the L 225mm will fit. I'm sure it does.

I think that'll work. The goal here is to put a 225mm ka flywheel on an l/z crank. Usually that pin stays with the crankshaft on every other one ive worked on, or theres an offset bolt.

Farmer joe has pretty much confirmed what i needed to know.

This head scratcher started because i noticed the act 225mm ka kit is the same part number as the 225mm l series one, but they dont list a flywheel for the l series, but they do for ka's, even though they use the same clutch/pressure plate for both.

Id be happier with a chromoly sfi rated flywheel in there, dont have to worry about the stock lightened flywheel comming apart and taking my ankle off, if i can make it work.

And theyre 10 pounds.... Because racecar :D

OK I have a 240mm wheel from a Z24... it fit no problem. I have a 225mm and it almost fits the small projection in the center of the KA wheel. The 225mm will fit the outer shoulder of the crank and this would be enough if the inner hole on the wheel was trimmed slightly.

POSSIBLY Z series wheels will fit the KA but L series will not? I know L and Z series will interchange but the L and Z cranks do not have that inner projection that has to fit the hole in the L and Z wheels. I'll have another look tonight. Maybe the projection on the KA crank could be ground away???

Mike, did you try that on a bare crank or on a shortblock? I worry that the back of the crank on the KA does not stick out enough and that when you try to bolt up the Z (or L) flywheel, it will hit the back of the block.

Maybe car and truck KA's are different. I didn't think so...