1980 310 fwd to rwd. Is it possible?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a 1980 310 near me and its front wheel drive.

Anybody know if the engine can be used in a rear wheel drive setup?

I'm thinking of using an A series engine in my 320.

Plenty of guys run the A-series in their 320's. I had two of them. It's not a hard swap, but there are a couple things to look out for.

Alternator location: Get a motor with the alternator up high on the passenger side and the distributor towards the middle of the block. The A12's had the alternator mounted low on the driver's side and it will hit the stock 320 steering box.

Oil filter: The stock A oil filter hits the 320 idler arm, but a simple fix is to use a small filter like one from a Toyota 22re.

Shifter location: if you push the motor too far back, two problems occur. The shifter will run into the bench seat and the back of the trans will run into the horse-collar crossmember.

Fan: An electric fan must be used in lieu of the stock A-series mechanical radiator fan.

Plenty of guys run the A-series in their 320's. I had two of them. It's not a hard swap, but there are a couple things to look out for.

Alternator location: Get a motor with the alternator up high on the passenger side and the distributor towards the middle of the block. The A12's had the alternator mounted low on the driver's side and it will hit the stock 320 steering box.

Oil filter: The stock A oil filter hits the 320 idler arm, but a simple fix is to use a small filter like one from a Toyota 22re.

Shifter location: if you push the motor too far back, two problems occur. The shifter will run into the bench seat and the back of the trans will run into the horse-collar crossmember.

Fan: An electric fan must be used in lieu of the stock A-series mechanical radiator fan.

Sweet, thanks for the tips!

The project builds mentioned above are insane!