Need J15 water outlet

Tico Bill

I've started rebuilding another J15 engine as a spare and the water outlet (thermostat housing) is eaten all the way through on the back side. This part is made of unobtanium locally. I'm headed to the States on 23 MAR, but only for three days and was wanting to know if any of you had a source.

Any assistance is appreciated.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this is really helpful but most auto manufacturers don't like to complicate things with too many small piece parts. On my RL411 I found that Chrysler aluminum V6 thermostat housings were a good physical fit but had the wrong exit configuration for my 411. Kia Sephia thermostats housings were a perfect fit and alignment, needing only to open up the metric mounting holes to accept my engine's SAE bolts. Shouldn't be a problem with later metric Datsun / Nissan engines. Bring what is left of your housing and spend an afternoon at your local JY. By the way, the Chrysler thermostat gasket is a perfect unit, it seals correctly all around the thermostat and housing. Generic gaskets in my experience are too thin around the periphery and don't do a good job of sealing the housing.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the responses. I will look up my local junkyard while I am in Florida. The J series engine is even in some 620s down here. I received a phone call the other day from a guy wanting to sell me what he said was a J18 engine. I will try to go see it this weekend. I don't get too excited because if you ask, "Is it a Datsun J engine"?, the answer will always be, "Yes", even if it is a 3 cylinder two-stroke engine out of a Suzuki jeep. 

• Like 1

J15 were used in fork lifts here in the states.  As I remember there are 2 or 3 different configurations of the water necks that fits the J engines.  Take pictures of the one you need for reference.

Long shot contact Wayno.