Replacing my Hitachi distributor

DatsunHiLife

Truck: 1977 620 extended cab

Distributor: Hitachi

Been ripping through my engine that was neglected for some time. Just put on a 32/36 weber, replaced the stock full pump with a electric fuel pump. 

My distributer is going to be taken out next as its just beat up pretty bad. I am wanting to replace the entire distributor with a Hei.

I know there are lots of posts here about this but I need a heads up.  I'm not looking for the cheapest way. I am not looking for just a conversion kit.

I have looked at the Pertronix flame thrower, the Mallory HEI, and there is the one at Hot Spark (the HS_HIT4) which replaces the Hitachi 4-cylinder which requires the Beru Germany blue coil.

Any suggestions? ohh. I will be racing this truck in the street class division here on the island of Kauai. Parts are hard to come by here.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese so they are...

dukling_t.jpg

There are two EI (electronic ignition) distributors. The Remote igniter and the later Matchbox. The remote has a separate box usually mounted in the cab and the matchbox which has the remote box miniaturized and mounted on it's side. Your call, they work the same. The remote are found on all California '75 and up L series vehicles. In '78 ALL Nissans had them and in '79 and '80 all were matchbox style. The non California single plug head NAPS Z20 series engines for '80 has a matchbox that will also fit the L series.

Rather than deal with the remote igniter box you can easily and cheaply substitute an HEI module on them. On both EI distributors, the matching coil should be used with it. Using a points coil will fry it as the matchbox is capable of drawing a much higher current through it. You can use your points coil IF you keep the ballast resistor.

• Like 4

Raja Dat my fellow Ratsuns. Yea I won't be messing with the Chinese Hei....My neighbor ended up giving me an Pertronix Ignitor so Ill use that for the next week till I replace with a Nissan matchbook, Hopefully I can have her up and running my next Sunday. Race day

Appreciate all the info from you guys.

vroooommmmmm vroooommmm Gotta go tattoo and put a hurting on someone!! Cheese hee

• Like 1

hainz said "opihi".....yum. Lucked out Saturday....Central Market actually made some damn fine ahi poki.

Yo, Diane. Wat chu like?

I want a Zippy's Zip Pack!

.....and wash it down with old school Primo. Ron Whodaguy wouldn't lead ya astray, eh?

Good times.....good times.....

• Like 2

pertronix will work if the ring above the point lobe is ground flush so the magnet ring fits on the point lobe.

what you can do is superglue the green tape edge so it dont peel.

just use the stock coil and ballast. Youll hook up the red wire to the +side of the ballast resisitor. Yes there. that should be a blk /white wire feeds the ballast . This is the usual datsun standard.

then Blk wire of Pertronix to - side coil.

do you really need a Matchbox? I dont think so but if it makes you feel better. key is if dist is worn or not also.

also if you get a matchbox there were 2 distributor pedastals made. one is the common onw which will fit the point one also then there is anbother offset one . Hopefully you get the whole unit with pedastal and timming plate. In part store tyep dont sell those with it.

• Like 2

Brah!! this is why Ratsun.net rules. Much mahalos for the info L Motor God.

hainz said "opihi".....yum. Lucked out Saturday....Central Market actually made some damn fine ahi poki.

Yo, Diane. Wat chu like?

I want a Zippy's Zip Pack!

.....and wash it down with old school Primo. Ron Whodaguy wouldn't lead ya astray, eh?

Good times.....good times.....

Lol. I never taste Poke outside of Hawaii. I guess if you get the Mana in the recipe then its all Pono!!!

• Like 1