305 vs 4.3

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4.3 is a good motor i don't what the hell there talking about,stock motor though was 164 HP. the Vortech with the corvette style plenum was rated at 199 HP. There is good like in them but is it worth the hassle for a stock V-6 i don't think so, your better off getting a SR or KA. Will drop right in with some Fab work and so much more help on here to get er done.

We talked about this in the 720 section. You can bolt a T5 or SM420 or SM465 to the KA if you can find a 1983 280zx Turbo bellhousing. They came with the T5 for that year only.

If it's a cralwer the 4.3 isn't a bad motor. I just don't like them because of the weight. I build crawlers for a living and I am constantly up against the question of what motor to run. I really depends on what you want, but ultimately the checkbook decides.

I build a lot of Toyotas and one V6 I have installed is the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6 with variable valve timing. It has 265hp stock. Here's the build thread: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?s=5e1edf56a419e35f15a11e1a8cf0ec1e&t=184710

I understand my only problem is from what I've read the heads suck ass as far as airflow

They are designed for bottom end torque which is what you want.

There is lots of offroad love for the Jeep 4.0 and their heads don't have good flow numbers.

Don't listen to track talk, think TORQUE

Stoffregen made a good point about the Toyota motors. My brother has a 98 Taco with the 3.4 dual cam, it has tons of torque and screams on top as well, I mention the older ones cause they could be less expensive to obtain.

I have that in my double cab.. double cabs are all automatics. It's slow. 

The 3.4 is not my favorite motor. That's not to say that I think it's a pile of crap, it's just that they don't have a lot of power. They are an easy swap for sure because they are relatively small and the wiring is simple, but the major complaint of the 3.4 is just what Draker said, "it's slow."

On the other hand, the 4.0 is a major swap and is very, very costly.

I guess slow is relative, but to me a Toyota 4x4 that will pull on near any other 4x4 up to the 4.0 yota/3.5 Nissan is quick to me. It does need a 5spd behind it and the '98 body style isn't very big. This is the first time I've heard anyone call it slow. Same HP as the vortec but smaller, lighter, and better mpg.

With a 5 speed it is a much different motor. I was referring to Draker's comment. With an automatic, the 3.4 does not get high marks. The Automatics just suck up a lot of hp.

My only complaint of the 3.4 is how "on the cam" it is.

My impression of Toyota's V6 lineup over the years:

3.0L - all torque, no rev and not a lot of torque at that

3.4L - no torque, all rev but much better than the 3.0L

4.0L - all torque, all rev, V8 HP in a V6 - they finally got it right!