Let the 1977 620 KingCab project begin

DatsunHiLife

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well this simple mount out the box alternator is proving to be the not so easily mountable alternator. It is not the same size as the one I took out. I am shiming away under here and even if everything lines up good. the belt that came with it is to small. I can't raise it on the tension bar cause its hitting. it came with no plug so hoping napa will have tomorrow. won't i need that to be able to plug in the dash light?

hum.....not up and running like I wanted to be

CCDBCFB7-86D4-4C14-A2A9-B7220BF9D924.jpg

• Like 2

nothing about this alternator works for my 620 as I was told.. hell i was even promised this was a direct bolt in.. The "custom" grinding and notching that was made on this alternator doesn't even work for my application. Either I got shipped the wrong one or there is LSD in the tap water.

looks at ice cold beer................need about 4 of em

• Like 1

after my own grinding on the alternator I have just enough clearance at the water inlet. Its underneath the hose. Almost perfect mount and alignment. I am wondering if I should shim it with one washer. Its gotta be millimeters off. Just had my neighbor look at it who is a toyota guy and he thinks its a go.4F8B3ED5-E76C-41C7-BCBD-71AFC683B968.jpg

• Like 1

Well I did it. Oliver at S Specialities is a nice guy but for his claim that this is a direct bolt for a 620 was wrong. I sent him what I had to do so helpfully this will help someone in the future. All cherry now. Even with my two 500 watt amps on two 10inch subwoofers. Nothing dims. Turn on the heater. nothing dims. Turn on lights and nothing dims. Guess today I get to be true shiniest peanut in the turd!!1AB0B3EB-E6A6-43B1-8A32-F44782F2BEC4.jpg

• Like 1

A ZX water inlet should net you some more clearance where you had to do the grinding. I would also shim the alt out a bit more to save the belt from premature wear. :)

Yea. think I will pick that water inlet up. my mechanic friend measured the line up of the pully and its off only a few mm. I have put a few hundred miles on it since putting the alternator in. Thanks for looking out.

• Like 1

It always works until it doesn't and your on the side of the road with no power and an overheating engine. I learned the hard way, just passing on the lesson :)

shimmed the alternator 3 washers forward and have a perfect alignment now. thanks. thats what I like about Ratsun. Everybody has each others back. Aloha

• Like 2

So I'm hooking up my electric choke on my Weber. Got me handy meter out and I am getting no power on the original blue wire with the key on. Traced all the way up to the first plug after it passes the firewall into the cab. For knowledge sake. Where does The blue wire go from there? I have the stock wire harness. Pretty cool seeing the writing on the wiring that says 1977. I can imagine a kung fu wizard making the original harness with his eyes closed .
I took out the voltage regulator out when hooking up my 140a alternator. When I redid my dash wiring I didn't notice any blue wire back there. I know I'm the first one to take my dash out cause I found the tiny original inspection stickers in Japanese when taking it out. Now there is just one and blue/White stripe that comes out the harness that is close to the headlight switch that is not hooked up to anything. It has power with the key on. It's been unhooked ever since I got the Datsun

there she is:

66ED4F38-0D95-4B24-8C4D-A263A7AB767E.jpg

• Like 1

Dropped the Datsun one more inch today. 4in angled blocks in the back. This truck already had 3in blocks and the torsion was reindexed by the previous owner as I found out today. I still got a pretty good ride. The wheel/tire set up is working for me. Though one day I want to bag it on some 17's. With living on an island with one road its pretty easy to memorize all the potholes. The jeep is for those. Decided not to run my choke as she starts on a dime. After I went through all my wiring and cleaned all the connections. It changed everything.611921CA-437B-41D2-A034-62EC9FF7E617.jpg

4D98AA25-B40A-4089-BDE9-54BF6F41B637.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Charlie. The 79 i sprobally the same as the 77 KC. Yea looking at the wire diagram as I actually did find one haha. There is a blu/white at the wiper and a blu/white at the ciggerette lighter. Both work so wondering what/why/how I have this unconneted blu/white. Could be for a tach or clock? Might use it to feed my choke if that is advisable. Gonna go check if its powered without the key on

• Like 1