Best city in Japan for JDM goodness?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly I've been cruising Yahoo Japan today and things aren't really that much less expensive over there than here. But I guess it is the scarcity of some of the JDM stuff here that makes it tempting. That said, USDM taillights seem to be the same cost here or there.

JDM SSS taillights are about $700USD before shipping.

Mexi center Garnish about $240 USD before shipping.

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m128847036

The Mexi Taillights about $170 USD before ship.

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m132405529

And those auctions haven't ended so I am sure they will go up.

I did think the wheels were cheaper though.

Monoblock Technos for about $330 usd before shipping.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k170899055

Hayshai Racing for $130 USD in early bidding.

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u67489113

Longchamps for $424 pre shipping 13 hr to go. (Go for $700 to over $900 pre ship on ebay USA.)

http://www.nengun.com/auction/item/d158582772

So I guess if you were over there and shipped them yourself it could be worth some savings.

Oddly the ones that were pretty intriguing to me you can never find here and are dirt cheap over there. Were these Spinto71 or Texas rims. Made by Enkei or Bridgestone. Cause they remind me of Torq thrusts. But 14X6" with a +15 offset isn't super exciting, LOL. Still $83 USD before shipping.

http://www.nengun.com/auction/item/s421740108

• Like 1

Hey man, when I was in Yamanashi...there were a few garages that sported old JDM. It's a nice suburb and not too far from Kyoto. When in Kyoto, go to the UnderGround Air raid Shelter bar....most excellent! Osaka is real cool too....Neon city! Kamakura was real nice....lots of small towns up that way.

Whenever I travel, it's all about the food. I mean the local food that the locals eat. Wagyu beef and sushi (crazy rare and high quality sushi) would be on my hit list while visiting Japan. Maybe a yakitori bar too.

The best yakatori is that offered by the street vendors!  Bintan charcoal and home made sauce, you can't beat that!

You draw for Magic ... Pretty bad ass

Indeed, that is where I got my start really. Back in like 1995 or so. I don't have much time to work for them these days with all the other illustration stuff, but I love it still.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Yes they do, and they operate similar to American wrecking yards. They one I went to wouldn't bother to look for any parts (even though I could see a classic Datsun part) because they were on their break.

* Up Garage. Stacks of tower bars and accessories.

* Book Off was great too.

* Autobacs some have used parts

• Like 1

Some good advice I see here , just to add my 2 cents , I have lived in the Kansai area since 2003 and now Okinawa since 2011 and I am in the car industry . 

I'm sure you will have a good time with the family but unless you hook up with someone that knows car stuff there do not expect to see any "kyusha" old school JDM cars or any cool JDM cars whatsoever!!!

Go to New Zealand  or even Australia for example and you will see most the good old school JDM cars that didn't get crushed by the Japanese.

As far as wheels go , I am an old school wheel collector myself and have a few good  sets of 4x114.3 but I am in Okinawa so you can't pick up but I can ship , like one guy above said slow 2 month shipping is about $250 .

Stay away from Up Garage , they may be cheaper than US prices but are way over priced compared to private sales or sales in smaller private dealers and wheel repair shops and junk yards.

Your best bet just google translate "Car junk yard Kyoto" and run in google map when you are there again (will work out fine if you have WiFi or go with someone with a Japanese smartphone)... as this will be your best bet at finding amazing deals.

I would dedicate a day or two just for junk yard crawling ...you will be blown away , but don't expect many Datsuns in junk yards these days either when even most the cool 1990's cars are already gone.

• Like 1

I loved visiting Japan courtesy of Uncle Sam (US Navy) back in the '70's and '80's. Things really calmed down after Vietnam, political correctness, and defense cut-backs.

One really learns to use chopsticks by picking up dimes w/ the plastic sticks while enjoying your 2am anti-hangover saimin.

Oh, and don't forget to pass the Akadama, mama!

10290306_508d740d0d6ef.jpg

Damn that stuff leaves a nasty hangover. Yo! Hot sake!

Yes they do, and they operate similar to American wrecking yards. They one I went to wouldn't bother to look for any parts (even though I could see a classic Datsun part) because they were on their break.

* Up Garage. Stacks of tower bars and accessories.

* Book Off was great too.

* Autobacs some have used parts

So then, do they look for the parts for you? If they do, then it's really not like American yards where you take them off yourself.

I'd understand if it was a third world country, perhaps second; but I consider Japan up in the first... So, I'd suppose there wouldn't be need of client mistrust in the junk yards; right??

:-)

In America, many junkyards don't let you pull parts.

Correct. The smaller, specialized, Make-specific ones, don't. Huge ones seem to let you, for the most part, as far as I've known. But the Japanese in general/overall? Seems like they don't; correct??

Japanese junk yards let you go in on your own , walk around and if you need parts you bring your own tools or they may lend you some ...depends but I have never heard of ones that they wont let you walk around and take your time ,  just ask them use some gestures ...some Japanese get freaked out when they see a gaijin thats all , if that's the case just tell them to F-off and go to the next one that's nearest... 

^Okay. Sounds good. So: Do you get to remove your own parts? Take them personally to the cashier and pay for them? Or, have an extra shadow following you all the time? Lol

Also, how often do they dispose of/CRASH their vehicles? In other words, do the vehicles last longer on the yard compared to an actively crashing U.S. junk yard?

Thanks!

^Okay. Sounds good. So: Do you get to remove your own parts? Take them personally to the cashier and pay for them? Or, have an extra shadow following you all the time? Lol

Also, how often do they dispose of/CRASH their vehicles? In other words, do the vehicles last longer on the yard compared to an actively crashing U.S. junk yard?

Thanks!

No , the ones that let you in wont follow you around and you can take your time ask or tell them first before removing anything as they may have some parts reserved for someone , I am not American so I don't know how often the American places do it , they go through some cars quicker than others , the kei (660cc turd cars) are very popular so they go through parts quick and get taken to a recycling plant sooner , other cars stay long up to year or two etc. Also depending on the size of the yard ...

Then there will be places who just won't sell to the public and only to their regular customers which are repair shops mechanics , a place near my house ended up like that because they were probably tired of people braking a bunch of stuff to get to the part they were after  etc.

Most will let you walk around take your time ask for prices on parts you want and then you go remove them , pay on your way out etc.

• Like 2

Yes that's exactly how wrecking yards are in USA. Some do, some don't. Some will, some won't. Some are friendly, some are not. lkq & pullapart let you wander around, many others do not. Most keep cars for a year or so but the u-pull places only weeks.

If you don't like one yard, go on to the next.

• Like 2

Thank you! Thank you all. It was informative and what I was looking for. Now, I need time to save money and take a trip out there! Alex, one more thing: do you have or can you supply some pictures for us to see, whenever possible? That would ROCK, bro! Thanks, again!

• Like 1