Some of my progress

ITzDarcy

I have been working hard renovating a 17 ft 1960s baravan - caravan
and working hard at work and slowly working on my ute.
So i got all the internals put in today and also have a new weber 32/36, power steering and a/c all ready to bolt on. Still taking my time on this build as i have 3 months left till i need it ready.
Its finaly coming together. The biggest unknown problem i have is what else to buy for my ignition retard system.
I have only this part at the moment.
http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8762/10002/-1
Anyone else used this system before?

Will try my best to update and ask questions.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The MSD boost retart system is used on turbo motors, generally speaking. I noticed you have a 32/36 so you're obviously not running a turbo...right?

This is a blow through turbo build, well thats what i aspire it to be. The weber i have will have to be modified i'm betting, but it has already been jetted to run extra rich at the moment.

IMG_20150109_163420_047_1.jpg

Good looking motor. Any pics of the Baravan Caravan? :D

Any reason not to run the stock ignition system? 

Thanks, alot of love was put into it.  this car won't wont be tested in anyway to its limits but i would like to run in daily on 8psi.

Car makers have been running 5-8 PSI on stock internals for ever. Look at the Chrysler 2.2 and the Ford 2.3 engines. Maybe a better head gasket but the L and Z series have huge main and rod bearings and can take it. The pistons are the limiting factor. Hyper-eutectic are about 17% silicon (basically 17% glass) and are brittle. You can buzz briefly to 10 PSI but would not run them there.

Perhaps jet the secondary super rich? It's only in at 3/4s throttle and could be used only during boost.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working hard renovating a 17 ft 1960s baravan - caravan

and working hard at work and slowly working on my ute.

So i got all the internals put in today and also have a new weber 32/36, power steering and a/c all ready to bolt on. Still taking my time on this build as i have 3 months left till i need it ready.

Its finaly coming together. The biggest unknown problem i have is what else to buy for my ignition retard system.

I have only this part at the moment.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8762/10002/-1

Anyone else used this system before?

Will try my best to update and ask questions.

I used the MSD boost timing master on a couple vehicles. Worked fairly well, but I wouldn't suggest running a msd ignitor (Ie 6a, 6al, etc...) as the extra sparks do nothing but wear out plugs, wires, and dis caps. My 76 turbo 620 had a 6a on it and wore out the carbon buttons in the cap about every 6 months. I later swapped the points dist for a 78 electronic dizzy and wired the BTM in series between the dist. and a 78 620 under dash ignition box to a MSD Blaster coil.

All you really need is a good dist. and ignitor. The BTM is not capable of firing a coil by itself.