What is inside the idler arm?

A376ABBC-A586-4F23-9A65-4C976A8EB3C5.jpg So I'm working on lifting my 510. I'm in the process of making 'drop steering' and it came to the idler arm. I got this guy pretty hot in the process of reshaping it. I did this by cutting and turning the left side 180 degrees(side that looks like a ball joint) and then flopping the bushing side backwards in the 'hinge' . After I welded it and it cooled it looks like melted plastic oozed out of the ball joint. It came off in a hard chunk. Is that just baked grease?? To my understanding a ball joint is all steel. There was a rubber bushing but I removed it before heating it up.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is perfect answer, some have plastic/rubber inside and some don't ,, depending on manufacturer.

Try putting ( suspending in somehow) the end that has ball into pail of cold water with part to be welded out of water ,, sometimes that helps.

• Like 2

Lifting a 510?  Baja?  Why not just reinforce the rail and make a drop bracket for the whole unit?  Or put on a different idler arm from a different vehicle.  Might have to ream out the center link hole, but certainly doable.

• Like 1

I took the large side (right) all apart, the left side looks to be like a ball joint. I took the rubber dust seal off, the rest doesn't come apart at all... I'm thinking the molten lava plastic stuff that oozed out during the welding was just grease that boiled out and hardened as it cooled. the tapered end still spins smoothly in the ball socket. I might just install it and keep an eye on it. Or, take a walk around the wrecking yard and see if I cant adapt one from another car or truck. I've also pondered ditching the original setup and using a 280z rack and pinion (mounted behind the front cross member).

HRH- I did think about dropping the steering box, but It is so close to the firewall that linking it to the steering column would be next to impossible without having some crazy u-joint angles

I was trying to keep this build quiet and share it when its all done, but I guess since i've leaked a little info, I better share an oic or 2....

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg