Fuel Sender

jmspep

Has anyone else noticed that their fuel sending unit is rusted and degraded? I had to put a new fuel tank in and couldn't find a sending unit so the gauge does not work. This was several months ago. I'm tired of just running out of gas randomly some days. Any thoughts on where to buy one or something i can make work?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old rule of thumb dating back to the original German market VW Bug, and first US imports, which did not have fuel level gauges.  In city traffic a full tank lasts 200 miles [with margin, so if you are at 210, no sweat] so head to the nearest gas station.  On the open highway, make a piss stop at 2 hours and in the next 2 hours start looking for a gas station.  It turns out that until the recent weight reduction craze most modern cars had their gas tank capacity set to the same 200 mile city or 4 hour open highway criteria.

Is it a kingcab, regular cab, 2wd or 4wd truck?

Has anyone else noticed that their fuel sending unit is rusted and degraded? I had to put a new fuel tank in and couldn't find a sending unit so the gauge does not work. This was several months ago. I'm tired of just running out of gas randomly some days. Any thoughts on where to buy one or something i can make work?