1973 240z Worth Keeping?

I made a deal to trade my Bay Window VW Bus for a Datsun 240z car, but when the 240 got here it wasn't as advertised. I ended up buying it at parts car value.

It has no floor pans, rust in the luggage compartment area(?), and detrimental frame rail rust (passenger side). The body, aside from the hood, hatch and perhaps doors, is relatively solid. It doesn't run, but most of it is there. The floor pan rust hasn't made it to the transmission tunnel from what I can see. I have 20 oics:

http://s211.photobucket.com/user/chicorunsfunny/library/Toys

I hope that works. I started to link them all individually, but thought it was excessively long. The car is missing the front valance, both bumpers, headlights, side markers, seats and some other stuff.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pfffff.

I've seen and repaired worse on an s30.

Yes it will take some time or a few weekends of your off-time.

Those are all problematic areas for all 240z's or s30's (not a problem for some areas of the country).

If you know how to use a MIG , have disposable income for sheet-metal/gas/POR-15/paint/undercoating/trans tunnel vinyl or material/etc , and LOVE the car... it's a no brainer.

Like what z-train said .... is the best option though relatively with reason... find a good body to transfer it to.

These won't be around , available , and everywhere for forever though

Your car & call though... as there arn't a of precious 41-year old desirable sports cars floating around as there use to be.

i just recently acquired a z with the same problem. i think mine is worse. but im gonna give it a shot. but i do have somewhat of a garage to work on. i'm only tackling this cause replacement floors are still available. that and theres already a lot of $$ into it after shipping costs. but anyway don't mean to thread jack. here are pics of my cancer

BD7B26D2-0DD6-4484-A6FE-9EC078068058_zps

E93D12F4-7414-4AA2-8A49-DE766A960FE1_zps

2AF41225-D085-44DA-B85B-5E062B252886_zps

i did find this how-to if you decide to keep it.

http://zhome.com/Classic/240ZFloorboards/ChrisFloorboards.htm

I think I am going to part this one out. The SU carburetors, linkage and manifolds go for a decent amount. If I can sell that and the taillights, I'd be doing pretty good.

Your's doesn't look to be as far gone in the front frame rails (underneath the fender and forward) as mine. I think