Dirty smog California

JDMClassic

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, for all you 1975 and above datsun owners out there in California. How did you pass smog? Besides putting back all OEM components. Did you guys get "Hookup"? Can I slide a Benjamin to the worker at the shop? How much do you think will it cost me to get this truck Califorina street "Legal"?

On a different note there is a shop or wrecking yard known only for mini trucks in socal, and of course its called socalminitrucks.com. Call them i know they will have all the parts you need to put back to stock i am sure.That shop has been around for 42 years. Check them out.

Well, removing things like the air pump and egr can gain you about 5-10 HP.... If done right. If not done right, you create vacuum leaks losing power in the end.

We all know how changing the carb can increase power too.

This 'it does no good' isn't true if it's done right.

No, there is no pump, but it does make the air flow more direct with less friction. I've seen dynos before and after things like this and it will usually show a small improvement. Mind you, a very small improvement, none the less it was there. But again, it has to be done in a way your not getting any leaks anywhere, or else the effect it quite in the negative direction.

And for a non exempt car, the positive effects don't out way the pain in the ass to swap most this crap back and forth every 2 years. Even the carb, on stock internals on one of our L blocks. Your looking at what 10bhp? Jus a couple of HP if that from the other stuff. I understand if its pre smog maybe, the the benefits don't out weight the hassles IMO.

Again. The EGR system is such that there is none at wide open throttle. It's basically shut down, so how is that different from not there. I don't know anyone who measures part throttle hp. EGR only works at part throttle where, there is probably some lessening of power but your not loosing it, it is still there just not used. Like slack in your gas peddle but full throttle is still full throttle. So just put your foot down more.

As for the air pump I'll concede some power loss but not 5-10 hp gained from removing. If you don't like the pump take the belt off and put back on for the smog test.  Same with EGR... just remove the vacuum hose from it and put back on..

We've kinda hijacked this guys thread for this lol.

Okay, so let's think of what the egr does. It recirculates air from the exhaust back into the intake. This does 2 things that will reduce power. First is the deflection of the exhaust gasses. The same reason running little or no muffler, it reduces the friction of the air leaving the system to not have this there.

Second, it's reintroducing hot CO back into the combustion system. This does 2 negative things for power. First, it heats up the intake gases spreading out the molecules reducing the power of the spark. Second it's mixing in CO into the combustion system that actually reduces the combustibility of mixture as well.

Like I said, very small numbers are gained if it's done right. But the can be gained. The 5-10hp, high ball estemit if all the smog equipment is removed. This doesn't include the cat though. Its kinda obvious how that robs power.

• 2 weeks later...