4 Speed tranny question

SRSANDS

Today I picked up my clutch assy, flywheel ect. I spent four hours trying to get this tranny up under the car with jacks and slid into the back of my L16...aghhhhh!!!! The L motor originally had an auto tranny on it when I got it. Is there a bushing that may be on the rear of the motor that will not accomodate the new 4 speed shaft? What would be holding the shaft up??? Please help......has anyone did a auto to manual conversion???:confused:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First the the crankshaft will have had a spacer on the end which is only used with an automatic. It has to be removed if installing a standard flywheel

A new pilot bushing must be installed in the end of the crankshaft. An automatic will not have had one.

Before tightening the pressure plate down the clutch disc must be alligned, usually with a special tool supplied with the new clutch, so that when the tranny is installed the splined input shaft will slide in through the clutch disc and enter the pilot bushing.

Interesting..well here is what found during during my swap journey. First yes you guys you are right about the spacer, had it on then unbolted the tranny and removed it. The pilot bushing is another story. The tranny (4 speed) slid in nice and tight.....the clutch alignment tool was snug also. Not sure if a bushing was in there already or not. I guess I will learn the hard way I suppose the day I fire it up. I did how ever also find the driveline is way too long!!!! Bummer:mad:

it was a ka24.. i think he didnt know the engine had a pilot bushing in it an he put one in.. now im not sure but i think it fried the engine or something.. it was a long time ago, i was buzzed.. we had talked about alot of shit that night.. but i know this... if your not sure if theres one already in there.. find out.. or shit may blow up in your face.. better safe then sorry ;)

If it was an automatic engine it will not have one in it, so you will have to put one in.

OR you can drive it till the tranny lunches and put one in when you take it out to replace it then. Seriously the front of the input shaft needs support. Without the bushing it will flop around in the end of the crank shaft hole and the clutch disc will be off center. This will cause vibration and shuddering during clutch engagement.

Here's what it looks like installed:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorpilotbushing005Large.jpg[/img]"]motorpilotbushing005Large.jpg

It's just big enough to get the end of your little finger in. They are about $3 at Nissan. I used one for a Z24 in my L20B so they are all the same size if they say they don't have them for L16. Start it in with a hammer and then put a block of wood over it and drive it home. Might be easier if you take the clutch back off. It's made of sintered bronze and is 'soft'.

Tore the tranny back out yesterday......just to find that the origonal auto engine that I put the four speed in had already had a pre existing pilot bushing........aghhhhh. When I originally put the tranny in I never installed one so I second guessed my work and had to pull it back out to check. Before I did so I called Nissan and the mech there said I had a 50/50 chance of one being there.......it was.

a list of needs:

clutch + brake pedal stuff..

clutch master cylinder

all the plumbing from the clutch master cylinder to the clutch slave cylinder

clutch slave cylinder (i would buy new for like $7)

clutch kit

clutch fork

throw out bearing sleeve

C clip for the shifter

flywheel an i would grab the bolts from the clutch thats on the flywheel you get to save some time

also i know you need the tranny mount (unless the old one interchanges?) and cross member (unless the old one works)

im sure someone can clerify that for us.. is there anything i missed guys?

all that stuff should be pretty cheap... its the work involved that sucks

oh an hey im not sure if your talkin about your truck or your buddys, but if your just replacing a clutch fork, i think you have to take the tranny off the engine.. i didnt try removing my clutch fork while the tranny was still in the truck.. or the 280zx either..