Easier to pull engine and tranny together?

Mike Phillips

I'm working on getting the old engine out of the 1974 Datsun truck and it's starting to look like it will be easier to remove the engine and tranny together due to clearance problems with moving the engine forward by itself.

Anyone been here and done that?

I can go either way...

:)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it with them together. I had to remove the lower crossmember (under the oil pan), the tranny crossmember, and I also had to take off the valve cover. that should make it pretty easy. My friend and I did it from start to finish in about 4 hours.. But then again I labled EVERYTHING and it was my first time doing it.

Don't know about other years but with a 1974 the steering rod hits the oil pan.

The only way I can see getting this engine out is to remove the steering rod that runs across the frame, remove the oil pan or separate the engine from the tranny.

I've chosen to separate the engine from the transmission.

Ugh....

Ive got an old haynes or something that I cracked open after denting the crap out of my core support and firewall, probably tweaked the tierod too... it said to unbolt the steering doohickey on the passenger side firewall. It is opposite the steering box and bolts on with 4 bolts. This would have gotten the tierod out of my way and made removal and installation of a married engine /tranny WAAAAYYYY easier.

Well, after pulling the just the 4spd out of my 79, I decided to put the 5spd in married to the engine. Took it out to clean and paint the firewall. The install went very easy. Did it by myself in about 30 min. I didn't remove a damn thing from the engine or the suspension. Ya, it was tight, but, it went in.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I did mine the easy way...Married together and.........................

truckeenaked.jpg

or

progress30025.jpg

Yeah Yeah I know...I cheated...

LOOK real close, to the right of the white truck, you can see Ol Yeller (which is the same truck as in the bottom photo, circa 2003)