Need help with my 68 four door

So some of the thing I'm running into with my dime is the wood grain in the doors and dash. The rear marker lights, the dome light says made in Japan, and last the ignision is on the right side not the left. Oh one more thing the key is a small single groove no the long dubble side groove key I had on my 71 two door. Any info to understand my dime a lil more would be great. I have pic of these items but don't know how to post them.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You just listed facts... You didn't even say what the problems were. What are we suppose to help you fix?

Rear marker lights. Great. Do they not light up? Are they missing? Metal corroded? What? And so you know, an actual 68 doesn't have rear markers. Maybe that's your problem... They don't light up because they don't exist.

I've also never seen wood grain dashes and door panels in a 510. You're going to need to post pictures and actually explain in detail what your problems are so we can help you diagnose them.

photobucket.com/user/briansdime1/media/imagejpg1_zps2d95d8a0.jpg.html]imagejpg1_zps2d95d8a0.jpg[/url]

Wood grain is part of the door not a panel

photobucket.com/user/briansdime1/media/imagejpg4_zpsf7753a47.jpg.html]imagejpg4_zpsf7753a47.jpg[/url]

photobucket.com/user/briansdime1/media/imagejpg3_zps5ee6f47b.jpg.html]imagejpg3_zps5ee6f47b.jpg[/url]

It's not problems that I have it's that I have never seen these options on a 510 I just want to know info about it I.E is it option or a rear find or something.

None of the stuff you listed is OEM stuff. Someone added all that afterwards... the woodgrain could be cool, but not when its a random square onthe door. Whats with the randomly cur rectangles in the door panels?

Weird this is a local 510 and weve never seen this before. 

All the door panels match but the rear door is off a 70. I figured the marker lights were not oem. The dome light says made in Japan. I picked up this car in Vancouver wa and the guy got it from someone in Salem. I just wanted to find out info about what may have been a option in 68 or did someone just do the work to make it unique. Also the wood is cut into the door not like someone just glued it. I just have never seen this before so that's why I'm reaching out.

1968 I understand orginally used one of these single-sided keys. Check your lock cylinder closely to see which one matches.

21988.jpg

or their mirror-image counterparts

21986.jpg

These keys only fit in the lock one way (non-reversible).

You can also get generic replacement keys:

Taylor (first type)

21989.jpg

Woodgrain inset's not factory nor is the dome light and the rear side markers. Front doors should have plastic pull handles like the rears. (maybe the fronts were the ones that were changed?)

Ignition switch is totally wrong for a '68 and should be on the left of the steering wheel in the center of the dash. '69 and up were on the column's right side.

Ok I get it I just don't understand how someone would mod. A door to just make it have wood grain. Damn thought I found something unique.

Everyone had their own tastes and they thought it was rad back then. I think the dash wood grain could be nice if cleaned up and done right. The 610s have some dashes that look like that and are nice.

Doors are hideous, but I'd rock a nice quality wood grain dash. I'd replace all that other crap though. That dome light and rear markers are outrageous. 68s aren't suppose to have rear markers but since the sheet metal is already cut for them I have a set of 69 markers I can let go.

What are you plans for the car overall?

Everyone had their own tastes and they thought it was rad back then. I think the dash wood grain could be nice if cleaned up and done right. The 610s have some dashes that look like that and are nice.

Doors are hideous, but I'd rock a nice quality wood grain dash. I'd replace all that other crap though. That dome light and rear markers are outrageous. 68s aren't suppose to have rear markers but since the sheet metal is already cut for them I have a set of 69 markers I can let go.

What are you plans for the car overall?

Did you get my msg?

I'm building the car for my dad he has been looking for a dime for some time I found this one that needs a lil love but I think he plans on doing a sleeper thing 4 door strong motor. It has a peanut head and dual su and a 5 speed in it right now. I prob will shave the rear markers the rest is up to him on what he wants to do. I am putting it back together now I want to drive it a lil before I hand it over to him in California