Trying to learn more!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See that blue car in the pictures ,?? Get off the computer and learn on that.  No one and i mean no one is going to let you practice on their car. and at $85. an hour plus the liability of having a minor in the shop ,, probably won't get anyone to take the time as time is worth to much anymore..  If i had a son  that actually wanted to work on a car ( ah to dream)  i would let him do his worst,, and come through after words and explain why he fucked up.

See that blue car in the pictures ,?? Get off the computer and learn on that.  No one and i mean no one is going to let you practice on their car. and at $85. an hour plus the liability of having a minor in the shop ,, probably won't get anyone to take the time as time is worth to much anymore..  If i had a son  that actually wanted to work on a car ( ah to dream)  i would let him do his worst,, and come through after words and explain why he fucked up.

I like this better than my Fathers technique. In example, when I was 15, I got my hands on this old pile of shit jeep. It ran and moved, but the steering box needed replaced. I dug up another steering box at a wrecking yard and was going to swap it out. No big deal right? Well, to get the box off of the frame, you need to remove the pitman arm. I had like zero idea how to get this fucker off, it had been on there since 1957 and also sat in the salt air of the coast for all of it's life. I beat on it, tried to use a pry bar and so on for a number of hours. Keep in mind that my tools were pretty much that, a hammer and a pry bar. No books, no internet or any help like that. The old man would come by, stare at me and just laugh. I no more than left for like 5 minutes, come back and he has the arm pulled off. Cool right? Yeah, aside from he won't tell me how he did it. More of a "you suck and I don't neener neener" situation rather than anything helpful. He had a puller for the arm come to find out later.

So these days, I do the same shit to him. I find something he has been hung up on for days on end, wait until he is gone and fix it. He will beg me to tell him what I did and my standard answer is "FM" (short for fuckin magic).