620 cab removal

JCalais

Im currently in the process of removing the cab off my 620, I've currently removed all the mounts, brake lines, electrical bits, etc etc but the steering is the only thing left, ive taken the 3 12mm bolts off the column where it meets the box.. Then when I try to pull the steering column through the cab out of the box it gets stuck? 

Can see the spiral gear shaft ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The steering box and the column are one piece.  I removed the steering wheel and slid the cab up and back off the column rather than mess with it. It helped that it was a flat bed. Remove the pitman arm and disconnect the box from the frame would be easier.

When I pulled a cab, I first unbolted the steering box from frame and pulled the pitman arm.  Pulled it out through the radiator opening on the chassis with no engine, and the one that had the engine I pulled the cab with the steering box still in it.  When I put the good cab on the frame with the engine in it, I put the steering box in the cab first.  Loose, not bolted in.

• Like 3

Alright guys been working on getting steering out most of the night, havnt got enough lifting power to remove the cab over the column, so I unbolted the steering box from the chassis and the steering arms from the pitman arm... all should be good to go now..

But while hitting the pitman arm with hammers a plug, that almost looks like a welsh plug come off the front end of the steering box and and lost all its fluid? and the shaft inside that whole seems off centre and moves freely ( not sure if that's how it is normally) 

and yesterday before I came on here (rushing sadly) i unbolted the 3 bolts at the bottom on the column on the top of the box and tried to slide the shaft out, but some of the split metal gaskets  came out and broke a big O-ring!!

So far it is not going good but I can think about all that when im ready to put it together!!

and also yesterday pulled off the top thing with 3 bolts on the top of the box. but that seemed to go back together easy enough..

What should I do? Look for another box or try put this one back together!

Put the steering gearbox back together. You dont need a rebuild kit. The part is called a plug. Tap it back in after the box is together, then fill slowly with fluid until it won't take anymore.

hey ggzilla, where the column goes into the box a few thing metal gaskets came out and a broken O-ring? and cant get the plug back on because the shaft on the inside the whole is crooked, im assuming it will straighted once everything is tight and alligned