240z Steering wheel

edekalil

Anyone ever use a 240 z steering wheel in there 510? It is 15 inch dia. I believe. If so how does it feel. I think I would like a little bit bigger dia steering wheel rather than the 13 inch I have on the car. The origanel is 15 3/4 inch.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it is exactly the same size as a 240Z wheel, but I put a 280Z wheel on my 510 just a few days ago. So far I like it compared to the old stock 510 wheel with a lace-on plastic cover (I guess anything would be an improvement over that). I've never used a 13" diameter wheel, but I've wondered if those wouldn't feel "too small". Or maybe it is whatever you get used to. The 280Z wheel seems to have a little deeper dish than the stock 510 wheel giving a bit more leg room to the pedals and when getting in and out of the car. The best thing about the Z wheel is the fatter rim. The particular wheel I put on has the rubber covering coming loose from the rim at the very top of the wheel, probably from years of someone driving with one hand at the top of the wheel. I don't know if this is a common problem with Z wheels, but worth checking if you get one. Just grip the rubber covering a few places around the wheel and see if it feels loose. It is kind of an annoying feel. I may try squirting some weatherstrip adhesive or something between the wheel rim and the rubber covering. Or more likely I'll try to find a better Z wheel at Pull n Save.

Len

I haven't measured a 280Z wheel but the dish on the 240Z wheel is the same as the stock 510 wheel. One thing to keep in mind is that the turn signal cancel pins on the 240Z (and probably later Z cars) are set up differently than your 510 wheel - they're horizontal instead of vertical. If you use a Z wheel, you'll probably more often than not have to manually cancel your turn signals. It's not that big of a deal, but something to be aware of. You might be able to modify the Z wheel - I haven't gotten that far with mine yet.

I haven't measured a 280Z wheel but the dish on the 240Z wheel is the same as the stock 510 wheel. One thing to keep in mind is that the turn signal cancel pins on the 240Z (and probably later Z cars) are set up differently than your 510 wheel - they're horizontal instead of vertical. If you use a Z wheel, you'll probably more often than not have to manually cancel your turn signals. It's not that big of a deal, but something to be aware of. You might be able to modify the Z wheel - I haven't gotten that far with mine yet.

Hmmm, good info. I've probably been driving around with my turn signal on since I installed the 280 wheel. My flasher isn't very loud and I can't see the turn signal indicators in the dash unless I look really closely. Seems it may be possible to drill new holes and put in new pins in the Z wheel, but I'll need to pull the wheel to check on that. I'm lazy enough I'll probably keep driving it the way it is and manually cancelling (when I remember).

Len

• 1 year later...

When the horn 'shorts out' the horn just stays on. The underside of the wheel has a brass ring or track. The column has a small springy brass lever with a contact on it that sticks up. The wheel pressed down on the contact and it rubs along the ring making contact as the wheel turns.

The horn button in (the center?) is what grounds the horn wire in the column. It's probably just stuck.

I've got a "wooden" series 2 steering wheel on my car. It was in better condition than my original so I laminated and cleaned up the z wheel. Imo, I like the look of a "wooden" steering wheel in the 510, and I hope to get a matching wooden shift knob sooner or later. Bigger diameter is easier for me to steer as well. 

When the horn 'shorts out' the horn just stays on. The underside of the wheel has a brass ring or track. The column has a small springy brass lever with a contact on it that sticks up. The wheel pressed down on the contact and it rubs along the ring making contact as the wheel turns.

The horn button in (the center?) is what grounds the horn wire in the column. It's probably just stuck.

Probably the connection under the wheel the copper ring or under the center pad of the steering wheel. I have a 240z for my 72/510 and a SSS wheel for my 72 blue 510 and have not used them yet but hopefully will use the 240z soon.

IMG_20141202_093407_1.jpg

IMG_20151116_152309.jpg

[burl=http://s338.photobucket.com/user/ekalil/media/510parts/IMG_20141222_123057.jpg.html]IMG_20141222_123057.jpg[/url]

5B384BE8-DCC2-4336-8B99-0AD8EB926353.jpg

Good luck.

Try honking the button repeatedly, like dozens of times to clean the contact.

Or check that the contact is making good contact. Polish the copper or brass with fine steel wool. A dab of grease is on there too, but not sure if dielectric grease or just something to prevent tarnish.

Probably the connection under the wheel the copper ring or under the center pad of the steering wheel. I have a 240z for my 72/510 and a SSS wheel for my 72 blue 510 and have not used them yet but hopefully will use the 240z soon.

IMG_20141202_093407_1.jpg

IMG_20151116_152309.jpg

[burl=http://s338.photobucket.com/user/ekalil/media/510parts/IMG_20141222_123057.jpg.html]IMG_20141222_123057.jpg[/url]

5B384BE8-DCC2-4336-8B99-0AD8EB926353.jpg

Good luck.

Have driven many old Datsuns long distances and one things for sure.... The steering wheels were made for small Asian hands. It's like holding onto a coat hanger wire. Hands are sore from gripping on the highway and bruised from turning them in town. The wheels are pleasing to look at but wrapping with a vinyl cover is pathetic. I found the zx wheel thicker, well padded and two thumb operated push buttons on the two spokes and better yet, a center push button. Ever try finding the push buttons for the horn when turning a corner in traffic?????? Every wheel should have at least a center push horn button and be padded.

Have driven many old Datsuns long distances and one things for sure.... The steering wheels were made for small Asian hands. It's like holding onto a coat hanger wire. Hands are sore from gripping on the highway and bruised from turning them in town. The wheels are pleasing to look at but wrapping with a vinyl cover is pathetic. I found the zx wheel thicker, well padded and two thumb operated push buttons on the two spokes and better yet, a center push button. Ever try finding the push buttons for the horn when turning a corner in traffic?????? Every wheel should have at least a center push horn button and be padded.