Enlighten me on z motors

Rubbish! Good on any 4 cylinder L series. On the L16 it does drop the compression slightly unless it also includes the SSS pistons. It (the 219 head) has monster size valves and ports for extreme RPM breathing.

On an L18 the compression jumps to 9. On an L20b it jumps to 8.9. The benefits of a closed chamber head are best realized if you also have flattop pistons. Any dish defeats the purpose some.

I  had no idea I was mistaken, so is it just the rarity that makes the 219 peanut so sought after? Why not just increase the valve size on any other peanut?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, you could replace with larger valves. The 219 has cast in larger ports and some heads may not survive porting them out that much and the 219 probably could be ported out even more. It also comes with an SSS cam upgrade similar in specs to the L20B stock cam.  Larger ports only benefit extreme RPM air flow and in many cases are not that good for the street.

• Like 1

Ok so the Lz22 sounds great but you were saying that its not a easy build... what if i go with a L20 and stick my head on that? I think i can get my hands on one of those.

And what about using the z car pistons? Would they work with the L20? And i was going to rejet 1000cc bike carbs and throw them on my engine. Ill probobly have to jet them for a 2L then.

Ok so the Lz22 sounds great but you were saying that its not a easy build... what if i go with a L20 and stick my head on that? I think i can get my hands on one of those.

Easy...and well documented

9 holes in Felpro HG

P5070004.jpg

7 in Z22S block

P5070006.jpg

P5070007.jpg

That's it...then slap your 219 on it

The parts and build is close to the same cost for any L or Z series motor. You don't have to go crazy (but you can) by rebuilding a stock Z22 engine and simply putting that 219 head, intake and exhaust on it. Find an L20B and get everything forward of the block.... (timing cover, chain, oil pump, dizzy, guides what ever) and put on the front. Add your L16 oil pan and likely the engine brackets and mounts and you have a 2.2 L series motor. Makes respectable power and lots of torque. Not rocket science, all parts are Nissan and easy enough to search out and collect. Byron from The 510 Realm made a 2.2 with an unknown cam and some side drafts. Here's the dyno sheet when EFI was added. It only made 4-6 more HP over the carbs....

DynoRun2007ByronsLZ22.jpg

Let's say swap a good used S14 5-speed in there ... and the stock motor with 154 HP ... is that good? Then you can sell that 135 HP head you have now and pay for the 5-spped.

You know i coulda had the hole swap for $500 but i turned it down and sent it to my wifes cusin for his 510 race car. I want to stay old school for this car. Everyone these days go the easyer rout and swap a ka or sr into their dime. I want to build my car not to be like everyone else and have something that when i open the hood the real datsun guys go holyshit! And cant take their eyes off of it.

I would but photobucket isnt running right now. I just tryed. But you can see pics of the motor in my car in project datto under my first 510 resto <3

Ive got a pic ove the front of the head showing 219 but i cant load it onto this page. It says it tho i looked 3 times to make sure that i was reading it right.