Want to stop pinging/detonation on a L20b donk.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea on welding the chamber, we are doing that to an old sr500 yamaha take modern design an apply it to an old head get the best of both worlds. E85 is also a viable solution if it is available in your area, I wouldn't call it a bandaid as it is pump fuel and not something like octane booster.

Another thing you might look at is thermal coatings they only do so much but will help a little to enhance the chamber mods. good luck post pics of the progress!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

980a7446-fb47-4ae0-a8cf-d8120c701ad9_zps

And the manifold I made all finished except for a clean

b7dfba7f-474c-492f-a398-0e4fbc49b415_zps

And here are some .5mm stainless shims I made to take up chain slack!

image_zpsa3793f0d.jpg

Pics of the head coming soon, just waiting on the big bore head gasket I'm getting made to turn up so head mods can start!

And the true cc of the u67 camber is 45.2

Alright got my bottom end back from the machine shop today, so time to play with the head.

Can anyone please tell me the size of the combustion chambers in CC Of a u67 head?? And the CC in a 1800 head ie SSS head?

Thanks

Open chamber L heads for four cylinders are not more than 45.2cc... much less if shaved. (W58, U67)

Closed chamber are 41cc including the V912 and the 219 SSS.

The stock L16 is 38.5cc

That's a little loose with the truth. The U67 is not identical to the SSS head at all. The U67 is an open chamber head while the SSS head is closed with a large quench area. Big difference in design shape of the combustion chambers. The intake ports on the U67 are also smaller than the SSS head. About the only thing they share are the valve sizes.