Front drive shaft assembly alternatives for 1981 720 4x4?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't hit it with a screwdriver and hammer .. if your referring to the spindle nut you need a special socket. I used one made for a Dana 44 I believe. They get over torqued easily by previous owners so hit it with a torch a few times.

• Like 1

Don't forget to fold back the tabs on the special lock ring that engage the spindle nut. They keep the nut from spinning completely loose if for some reason it works itself loose. On reinstallation torque the nut slightly past the torque setting to index the nut with the lock ring. This will allow you to fold the lock ring tabs back down to engage the nut.

• Like 1

Thanks! I actually didn't need to take the spindle but off to slide the assembly out. Glad I tried that before I shelled out the $80 for the special socket NAPA had! Job is done though. Wasn't that bad. Learned a lot doing it. Btw, both spider bearings were presses on. Thought I might have one that just had a retaining clip but not the case. Thanks for your help with this!

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

Bumping an old thread because I've got a clunking going on in my '80, only when in 4wd either turning or going down hill, seems to be skipping with a loud lurch and clunk.  Sounds like right front axle.  Can't find anything for sale.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 6/20/2019 at 4:35 AM, bottomwatcher said:

Pull the offending hub side hub. These axles have a habit of spitting the snap ring off the end of the shaft and damaging the end in the process.

Hey sorry I just noticed I got some replies.  Still have the truck and the problem.  I don't think it's the U-joints, it actually skips and catches, in 4high or low, under load, along with a loud jerk and clunk.  The end of the shaft, is that what I can see when I pull the locking hub off?

• Like 1
On 10/12/2019 at 6:36 PM, bottomwatcher said:

Yes. Pull the locking hub off and there should be a snapring holding the end of the shaft in place.

I pulled it off, the snap ring is there but I noticed the gear behind it is barely sticking out past the hub so it is only engaging in the locking mechanism a small amount.  I pulled the other side, that gear sticks out the width of the gear.  Somehow I need to figure out how to make that come out farther, or make the one in the locking hub stick out more.

Thanks for the help

On 10/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, bottomwatcher said:

Jack up front of truck and feel for play in the wheel bearings. The large nut behind the gear that meshes with the hub adjusts the play in the wheel bearings by drawing the hollow stub shaft against the inner hub. Too loose would cause the stub axle to get "shorter".

It's fixed, at least temporarily.  The wheel bearing nut was tight so that didn't cause it.  While playing with the locking hub I noticed in the lock position it does not push the gear out flush with the mounting surface of the hub.  Pulled the other side, same thing but on that side the gear on the axle stick out farther.  I pulled the locking mechanism apart and found a shim to put behind the gear so it extends flush with the mounting surface.  Bingo, no more clunk.  Nice to at least know where it was coming from.  I'm a bit surprised though, I would have thought that gear slipping teeth would cause a ratcheting sound, not the one big clunk, catch, clunk, catch it was doing.  Anyway I guess I need to find out if the gear in the locking hub is in fact supposed to come out flush.  The gear or the axle is surprisingly thing, less than a quarter inch I'd say, surprising.  Still don't know why one side sticks out more.

Again thanks for the help.