1978, 620 King Cab, Rebuild

Scoobs

think i found my problem. Evidently the camshaft alignment pin that goes into the camgear either sheared off, or it slid out of the cam. i cant do anything about it till i get one of those tools to hold the timing chain in place. And find a replacement cam pin

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The can gear pin somehow walked out of the can making it spin 180. I made a wedge with a friend of mine and we backed the rockers off to spin the can back put it back together and fired her right up. Runs like a champ now. Gotta do some more minor things. I'm in town right now getting gas for it to get it running longer to see if she will move. Changed the radiator out to one with a transmission cooler built in. So I gotta get the fluid pumping in there.

Ok, im thinking i put the flexplate on backwards, does anyone have a photo of an automatic transmission with the flexplate view, like through the inspection plate on which side the inset part of the flexplate is supposed to face.... i have the flat side facing the engine. So if it is wrong, i will need to know, what the easiest way to fix this issue is... I have no access to a lift.

video.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202666563452173

10624620_10202666582532650_542307856572810616097_10202666577692529_7364679534362

10646977_10202666583892684_5339209186437

its 5 am, and i just wrapped it up. cant start it yet to find out how she drives yet, but earlier i fired her up, and moved it 5 feet forward, and in reverse. If all goes well, i will drive her to work this morning. Gotta love not being able to sleep LOL actually can get things done.

Don't forget valve seals. They limit how much oil runs down the valve stem. If you plant to simply hone the cylinders, get cast iron rings that quickly seat on less that perfectly round cylinders.

Really an interesting comment, and thanks for it!

I noticed that mine smoked between shifts mostly, after I topped off the oil. I guess that suggests valve stem seals should have been replaced when I did the head gasket.  My plan is to pick up a Z motor and zero time it, so this is great info.

Drove it to work, once it warms up, the oil pressure drops, it did this before the rebuild also. Once its warmed up, going down the road it has about 45 psi oil pressure, stop at a stop light in gear idling the pressure drops down to 5-20psi. Im leaning twards the oil pump going bad, so i got a new one on order, will be here in the morning. Meantime, i registered the truck this morning got my antique plates, and insurance. Its legal now :D

10646611_10202679671299861_3294663688796

• Like 2

Just picked up my second melling oil pump this morning. Got one yesterday morning NIB and it had a busted shaft where the gear pin goes into it. my guess was someone bought it robbed the parts out and swapped theirs in. so brought it back and got the new one in a sealed box. installing it right after I post this.

Wow brother ! Just read your whole thread ... You have came so far , don't give up now !

With all the love you have given the block maybe its time to have that head checked out . If I missed that in the thread sorry , but don't remember reading anything about the head .

And it does suck to see the finish line but not be able to reach it . But the beauty is you are close and once you get it you will have an sick 620 that you will get to enjoy .

Anyhow great looking truck ! Take a break,but don't give up .

Oh hey , I saw your posting saying : " no response " . So many cool ratsun builds going on here its crazy to catch em all . But I hope you keep posting, you've gave that truck some good love , it will pay you back if you stick with it !

• Like 2

Low spot on my block is the only thing i can think of causing that, the head has no oil on the outside of it, new head gasket with copper spray on it, did not help a bit, if anything it made it way worse. Sucks i only was able to put 350 miles on the new engine, now the truck is parked on the concrete slab awaiting for my decision on what to do with it. Sell it? couldnt get even 1000 for it in this area as it sits. Already have 1400 just in the parts ive put on. or Save up and find a way to fix it. Called a VERY reputable machine shop in my area that most of the gear head shops use, but,alas when i called, ill have to tear the whole thing down again to a bare block, and spend annother ~150-200 in machine shop work to get it cleaned, pressure checked, and decked.... again. So for now im at a stand still. if someone offered me cash for it id probably take it at this point, but i love this truck and im so heartbroke that i was so close and have to redo it again due to shotty machine work. 

10472736_10202749696650451_4703418340233

10687074_10202749696410445_2083238993412

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking the head is cracked. Truck is still sitting in my yard. I need to do something with it. Anyone interested in buying it? I'm at a loss on what to do from here. I can't honestly justify in my head putting another $500 into it at this point. Plus if it needs a new head then it got even more expensive.

No time to deal with it, been working crazy hours to save up for a new car. Need a reliable ride for my fiance, and my 2 year old. the geo metro is needing way too much work now, an the truck even with a good motor still needs a whole new front end, steering/shock wise.

• Like 1

Bought a new car this morning, Blew my knee out so i cant realy walk or drive a stick anymore. Since i cant work on anything anymore with my knee bad im going to try and sell this truck on craigslist, im not too worried if i keep it, since it still wont cost me anything to leave it sitting. Maybe someone on here wants to finish what i started.

There is no oil anywhere near that location on the block. There is an oil drain back hole at the very back of the block but it's under no pressure. If coming from the head, there is nothing under pressure near there but the oil drain back hole. Oil may be getting down one of the head bolt holes but if it can get out between block and head why does it hold water in ???

Bought a new car this morning, Blew my knee out so i cant realy walk or drive a stick anymore. Since i cant work on anything anymore with my knee bad im going to try and sell this truck on craigslist, im not too worried if i keep it, since it still wont cost me anything to leave it sitting. Maybe someone on here wants to finish what i started.

sorry to hear about your luck, i know all about the knee and leg issues, 4 years ago i shattered my left leg and now i have to carry special paperwork just to get on a airplane, which depending on the time of the year that could be 4 times a month , at least . 

As for your 620, you owe it to yourself to finish the truck. selling it know may clear your head of the drama it's caused you. But as a finished piece the truck is worth 3 time what its worth as a potential runner. and you have came so far , take your time if you have to. now is the time to have parts checked. ya know while your siitin around tryin to think about anything but your knee !