rude_day

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to just use this tranny case!!

I told Ron I have a 5 speed he can have '4x4 720 tanny'

But he said he didn't have a problem with the 4 speed.

What really sucks is even after I give him his l20b back and get it back in the truck the truck is going to continue sitting there with a boss as motor in it... Unless I find him

a cheap Kc..

From memory...

I believe the 200sx had a 3.90 differential and a 17 tooth pinion gear. Going from 3.90 to 4.375 is a 12% change.

Going from 17 tooth to 19 tooth is an 11.7% change, so a 19 tooth pinion should do the trick. Now this assumes the tires are similar diameter.... and my memory is working. 

• 1 year later...

And the truck is at least 30 years old now. Could easily have had a failed transmission in the last 15 to 20 years. The 2wd will work just fine in a 4x4 but a 4x4 transmission won't drive the speedometer if used in a 2wd truck. Here's my shorty 4x4 720 5 speed. You can see than Nissan didn't waste time and money for a speedometer on the transmissions when the speedometer is driven from the transfer case.

720short4x45speed001Large.jpg?t=13978710

is it possible to machine out the spot for the speedo and then tap the bolt that holds it? will the gears for the speedo cable mesh with the internals? 

The 4x4 transmissions may not even have the drive gear inside on the mainshaft to drive the pinion even if you did manage to mill it.

Here's what it looks like...

Metal...

5speedfor710goon026Large.jpg

Plastic

5speedfor710goon015Large.jpg

I doubt they would waste the time putting one in.

Can a 71c bell for a KA be fitted to use the 71b box Lseries? What's needed?

Yes, with a little bit of work. I'm thinking about putting a VG 71c bellhousing on a 71b. Here's the opposite, putting 71b bellhousing on a 71c:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49396-fs5w71c-240sx-5spd-behind-the-l-series-l16-l18-l20b/page-1

• Like 1

Can a 71c bell for a KA be fitted to use the 71b box Lseries? What's needed?

Yes but if being used behind a KA this won't be as strong as a 71C is.

The 56mm 71B counter bearing will need to be removed and a 62mm  counter shaft bearing hammered on. 

The 1st/2nd shift rod on the 71B is only 14mm in diameter. The 71C case hole for it is a larger 16mm. A bit sloppy fit but should work.

• Like 1