new to datsuns

cici

hi all im new to this datsun thing you al have i picked up a 74 shortbox and am trying to see if it worth time to put back together bod is great other then the cab bolt have rusted away other then that i can seem to find any rust it has what i think is a bad l20 do to years of siting witha bad head gasket it set is great shap and dash i say is tpical of it age well any info would be great we thx and hope to talk to you all more

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kk well got to go get kids here so so ill drop a line when i get back o for all thous in the area looking for a rung 620 a guy i know has a 620 he saved from forest auto he askeing 500 drive it home i think it is a 74 it looks just like mine but nasty red

Pull the plugs and spray some WD-40 in there, let sit a few days. Charge the battery and hit the starter repeatedly while watching the crank pulley for movement. My Z24 sat all winter after the swap and if 'froze' ... did this and after 7-8 hits it moved a bit then a bit more and away it went, spins pretty good with the plugs out!

If it's a no go, you've got nothing to loose, so pull the head. You have to change the gasket anyway and this will tell you if the cylinders are all rusted to shit or not.

yes listen to mike he knows his shit!! datsun motors dont just "Give up" also if your turning the crank.. and the truck is rolling its cause its in gear and its not actually locked up.. if the trucks an auto i dont think it would do that but i'd put it in nuetral.. but pull those plugs it makes it alot easier.. head gaskets are easy.. but while your at it do the timing chain its worth it

looked at the chain its rather slopy it hit the wall so was thinking it would need redone and truck was out of gear i mean is was just move with the rench is all will see if it will free up and go from there if i can get it to roll around ill put a head gasket in it and see what happens

weill i makeing a list to see whay i need to to get it back on the road so far a head gasket and im thinging a new mc do to this one leaking oue the lie threads iv tread takeing the liens off and redoing them still same thing so im just going to pull it was thing to see if a mc off a mid 80's yota will fit sent they are easy to get hand hold up well any idea's id rather stay away from a reman mc if i can

Welcome to the forum!!!

This is a 1974 with an EGR light on the metal part of the dash???? I've never seen that. You guys think it has been "re-dashed" at some point???

Nice start for a project though. You'll learn lots here!!!

Welcome to the forum!!!

This is a 1974 with an EGR light on the metal part of the dash???? I've never seen that. You guys think it has been "re-dashed" at some point???

Nice start for a project though. You'll learn lots here!!!

vin has it made in 10 of 1974 so i think it papers have it as a 75 do to month of make didnt see it do to all the blue lol its even blue on the moter :thumbdown: really geting not to like all this blue lol

Very easy...... On the drum You will see two threaded holes. They are exactly the same bolt as the tailgate bolts. Remove one tailgate bolt and go to either Your Auto supply store or hardware store. Do NOT use the tailgate bolt as it has no thread at the end. Buy 2 hard grade bolts exactly the same size and pitch as the one You take in there. Now place both the bolts in the threaded holes in Your drum. EVANLY tighten them SLOWLY while tapping the drum with a hammer. The bolts will force the drum off. It's as easy as that!! By the way, in Your driver's door on the VIN plate, it should have a MONTH and the "74" date. Maybe two dates. What MONTHS are showing??