New to Ratsun and very first 510 Owner

Hello everyone,

I’ve been a Member of Ratsun for about a year now but I was Lurking in the shadows, Lusting over members cars...Hopping I would get one myself one day.

At last I did the Jump and I got a 71 Datsun 510 Wagon and I can’t wait to jump in and fix this bad boy up! I did grow up loving and only owning Nissan cars until the past 5 years; I got a 09 Honda Civic Si. I've been learning little by little how to work on cars but I'm nowhere near Restoration skill level. I'm 29 now and my mission is to get this wagon ready for Daily Driving and family fun.

I'm ready to learn and hopefully meet members from Ratsun!

I'll post pics as soon as I can. :thumbup: 

4EF95765-6140-4B7B-A427-66892CDBF5F1_zps

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. The Datsun is a 71 with L20 and 5 speeds. From what I saw the Original color was an Olive Green/gray-ish color wouldn’t know any more info as of now.

I kind of like the bright in your face Green that it has right now LoL

As for the meet this Saturday, I would love to but my son is scheduled to be born this Saturday, I’ll have to wait for the next meet.

There is tons of work to be done on the wagon and there is even more parts that are missing and need to be replaced...so I’ve been online looking for spots that sell Datsun parts. All the interior is a big work in progress...oh and I need to replace door mechanics and window seals. Best part is that I have one of my dream cars now and a good way to learn how to fix it up.

Thanks. It's my first kid, so im in cloud nine right now. Yeah I want to be the dad with the cool classic and nothing is cooler than a Datsun. ; ) I'll try to post tons of pictures of the progress of the wagon. My goal is make it a Fam car that can pull off autocross on the weekends.

Yeah I want to be the dad with the cool classic and nothing is cooler than a Datsun. 

Dudes only made three posts and already he's scoring Likes from me... I must be get'n soft in my old age. Congrats X2

AHahaha! Thanks Paradime. Well I'm back; Son was born last Saturday and let me tell you, I was in need of some sleep. First time parent and definitely a life changer, loving every second.

Now update on the Wagon.

I'm doing research on interior parts and finishes. As I mentioned before, the interior is nonexistent. It’s missing parts of the dash and panels. I got some vinyl, and boards to start making the panels but I'm having trouble finding pictures of Wagon interiors.  I would like to know the locations of interior lights, ash trays... dash parts. Oh and the rod that connects to the door handles form the passenger’s side are missing, so I can only open the doors form the inside. LOL

Second thing I need to work on before it hits the streets this Monday is lighting. The previous owner did a terrible job at wiring the head lights and broke the turn signal indicator in the steering column. Did the wagons have a different Indicator switch then other 510's or Datsun of similar year? I will post full pictures today once I get home so everyone can see what I’m working with.

Dude, sleep is a thing of the past. You're a parent now, so get used to loosing your mind. Ha Ha. Seriously good stuff.

As for the wagon; First thing you need to do is invest in an owner's manual. You can still pick them up on eBay for a few bucks, and worth every penny. The dash, door cards, and column switch are the same for all 510s but there are year differences. 68s are unique from the 69-73. Best way to get all the parts you need is to find a fresh donor car someone just started parting out. In LA that shouldn't be hard to find, just keep looking through Craigslist in LA, SD, and San Bernardino. Eventually one will turn up. 

Best of luck friend.

Paradime

Success! I figured out the pic issue! Lol I'll start posting now.

Paradime, yeah I'm looking and searching the web for parts.

Today was an adventure! Driving the wagon and my breaks went out, the rear break piston popped and

Yeah. Now it's back to getting it on the road. I'm trying to figure out if I should replace all the rear Drum breaks or

Just convert them to disk breaks.

B6BEF74D-3FE7-4A87-8542-A8E873866CCB_zps

Paradise, Yeah that’s what I'm going to start looking into. The Price to rebuild the rear Drum break set up or just does a Conversion. I’m thinking of doing the Maxima/200sx swap and eventually getting Wilwood calipers. Wondering if it’s cheaper to just buy a kit or hunt down the parts myself and find someone that sells brackets.