Lucy the 240Z

Bolt came out easy! Gonna chase the threads and get the motor together. The E31 head is trashed. I have an N47 head from Daniel that's going to go on after I clean it up. The close chamber and bigger valves should equal more power. I'm just disappointed that the N47 (maxima) head doesn't ave the mechanical fuel pump cut out. Kinda sucks... But I have a spare electric. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've still got the truck for a while! At least until the 240z is DD status  :thumbup: Getting closer every day! I've spent literally every free second that i've had light with this car for the last 2 weeks. My girlfriend hasn't hardly seen me  :console:

Here's an introductory video with the first shake down run. I became aware of lots of issues after this run....

http://youtu.be/Jp-RrIxN9UU

The noise I was hearing accelerating, the clunking you hear when I was pulling out of the bay was actually a blown up halfshaft. I'll upload a video of that later. Thought it was diff mount or moustache bar bushings but those are actually fine. After tightening the driveshaft up and replacing the damaged half shaft, the car drives better but is still wobbly in the front end.  

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I now have lights. Found the PO had a 'mechanic' (I struggle to use that term seriously) do some ghetto wiring that involved cutting the harness up coming out of the fuse block. I repaired some wiring and now I have hazards, brake lights, and turn signals. I have a short in the left turn signals I have to find, then I need to grease the wiper linkages. It's so deadly slow.

I have new poly bushings from MSA to put on, a few small things, and I'll be on the road with the Z.

temporary_zps6a160f7c.jpg

Headlight contacts were boogered up so I cleaned them up. That should help restore function to the 'flickering' switch.

temporary_zps74494b18.jpg

_DSC1644_zps671de3c4.jpg

_DSC1642_zps2ba6a799.jpg

_DSC1641_zpscd77f18b.jpg

_DSC1640_zps50d5d1f7.jpg

_DSC1639_zpsb873d821.jpg

_DSC1638_zps98572676.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looking good !!

That dash looks GREAT really..

Interior looks good , and I like that shift knob.

*That fuse-block*

I had one of these melt on me while driving lol

Clean that sucker out (not sure that will cure the problem entirely) or Get an MSA one (long-pig tail if early and short-pig tail if 72'+)

Our cars are notorious for this lol...

I did the head-light harness upgrade , and like it.

I need to do the tail-light one as well (darrel has and I believe he likes it as well)

Yeah the head-light switch may melt or stop function at some point.

There's a company that refurbishes them (probably just clean/solder/grease).

I've been through at least 1 that I remember (if not 2 .. can't remember if I called a spare a bad one :rolleyes:)

If you ever in need.

280zx distributor from an 79-81' preferably (e12-80 module)

the 82'-83' zx distributor will work just the same except the module will need to be modified or switched out (or chevy HEI in a pinch).

Thanks David! She's pretty sweet! Fuse block is sooo clean now, i'm happy! I had to repair some wiring that was fucking cut by the PO's 'mechanic' at one point. Fucking jackass. 

I have a headlight harness (the twin relay harness) that I just need to put in, the solder joint on the switch for the lowbeams is just fucked up, so I need to re-solder it ;) 

I have some random matchbox right now, just gotta check out the vacuum advance! I think it might be leaking. 

Pierce, you can see it anytime you want man! As soon as I stop having stupid fucking problems... 

Got new tires on the old girl...

temporary_zps1ed64916.jpg

when I pulled in the clutch pedal started to go to shit... found the master was leaking. Got it for $15 from work because it was 3 minutes down the road in stock... put it on, bled it, then found this....

I want to know how the fuck the pin warbles out the clutch pedal like that? Now I can't drive it, because after driving the pin out which was tight mind you, when it slides back in there's a good 1/2 of pedal play that you can't just get rid of. I'm gonna zip tie the fuck out of the worn spot so I can drive it home and weld the pedal up. I had the idea of drilling out the pedal/turnbuckle adjuster thing and sliding in some brass hinge bushings, with appropriate sized pins so it doesn't happen again. 

temporary_zps57466587.jpg

Also i think it needs new pads. 

temporary_zpse5352112.jpg