New here, anyone in cali ever bar'd a ka swap?

norcal werkz

Bought my 620 about a year ago, haven't got around to do much to it yet. Dash and seat is in pretty rough shape, exterior is decent. Came lowered already but im not feeling the torsion bars so I'll probably mod some coils up front. But to my main question, have anyone in cali ever bar'd a ka24e in their truck? I know most of you don't have to deal with smog, either smog exempt or your state is easier with smog inspections. I already put my ka in, not running yet, but it starts up. Just got my driveshaft extended. Most of my wiring is done, just need wrap them in some wire looms. Ill post some pictures as soon as I upload some. But for now, if anyone have some input on how they got theirs to pass bar any help will greatly be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but if you had the plans of doing a KA swap you should have just bought a '75 or older.   I don't have experience with BAR, but knowing California it will be probably be a hassle.

If you brought over all the smog stuff from the KA motor (to include the cat and o2 sensors) and not tripping codes on the computer, then you might be good.  The delta here is how they will view the old style evap system  to the newer style (with tank purge and vacuum control, vented or non vented gas cap, fuel temp sensor, etc.).   Not sure if the E motors had all that, but my DE threw codes on some of that stuff.

• Like 1

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

I would call the BAR & make an appointment & ask all the questions & get as much info in writing as you can.... getting it in writing may be harder than you think. At the very minimum I get the dudes business card and ask.. "If the referee has any questions can he call you direct?"

I would imagine that you'll need to know the specifics of the donor vehicle.... ie: 1989 Nissan 240sx w/5 speed .... walking in & just saying ... "I wanna put a KA in my truck, whats the deal yo"  won't be enough.

I know a retired guy that worked for the BAR for 30yrs. He & most of the dudes there are gear heads BUT they have a job to do, love it or hate it. They WILL certify a motor swap if you jump thru the hoops ....... you just need to know EXACTLY what they are & they're the best "person" to ask.

FYI- this will probably start a HUGE debate but..... TECHNICALLY putting a KA24e into a pre-75 ALSO requires inspection by the BAR and DMV. The vehicle code CLEARLY states that emissions follow the new motor & that all motor swaps are to be reported so as to "assign a distinguishing vehicle identification number" ..... it's just that "pre-smog" vehicles are operating in a grey area where mandated inspections aren't done..... I can tell you this.... If you got pulled over in a motor swapped vehicle & a cop asked you to pop your hood & then referred you to a smog referee you'd be screwed no matter what the year was. AGAIN it's all a matter of enforcement.

• Like 1

heretic pretty much covered it all.

I knew a guy that would come into my work with motor swaps in modern cars.  He would buy them with bad motors and swap completely different motors (sometimes not even the same make motor) and have them registered and what not.  So its possible but my require some more work then just putting the engine in and getting it smoged.

Thanks everyone, I wasnt planning on doing this swap originally. That's why I didn't keep looking until i found a pre 75. But I understand about bar, I bar'd 2 of my older civics, helped some of my friends with theirs. I even tried to bar a k20a2 in my civic, passed everything, but because my civic was converted to rhd, they couldn't issue me the sticker (because firewall Vin is different). I know anything is possible, and most people wouldn't want to deal with all the hassle, but ill give it a shot and see what happens. Obd1 engines don't require much so shouldn't be too bad. I just thought since so many people do this swap, maybe some else tried to ref their swap already.

Heretic, ill talk to them and see what they say. Because I do have a question about the intake anyways. Obd1/pre obd cars (without tac) don't need carb approved intakes. So you can just about use any intake from any car and still be smog legal. But I'm wondering if they will care about that if I'm bringing a car to them for inspection.

i have a 79 with a kade swap and im in the middle of figuring this out as well. from reading all the info on the BAR site you have to swap over everything involved with the engine smog equipment. which means i will have to use the cluster that has the check engine light or else there will be no way to tell if there is something wrong with it. i have everything hooked up smog wise but thats just what i was reading and i could be wrong. im kind of screwed if this doesn't work out but thats just life the moment.

• Like 1

BAR is AFU!   I bought a 1970 Buick Electra LTD in California, built and originally sold in California.  Being in the Military, I registered it in my home state of Wyoming.  When I eventually retired from the military and decided to take up California as my new home state I had to re-register my Buick.  Guess what?  The BAR inspection station demanded proof the it complied with California emission standards.  Never mind that it had been built in Southern California, had been originally deliverd in San Bernardino.  I had the original paperwork that had the Glove box paperwork  "red pages' showing that the intake manifold was the California specific unit that complied with the BAR standards and the sales paper work showing that all was up to BAR standards.  "NO WAY" the inspection station insisted that there was no way to externally verify that the car was up to current CA standards!  They obviously could not read the part number stamped on the manifold [?]. So much for English language comprehension.  So I asked them "just what, literally, does the standard that I fail " require?  The answer was "A visual verification that a BAR approved timing retard unit was installed".  Note that it did not say "connected".  The car by the way had passed all emissions checks, thank you 455 cu Buick engine.  So the only item was visual confirmation of smog compliance, never mind that the paper work and part numbers had verified compliance!  So I went with the LITERAL wording of their stupid rejection.  I bolted on the cheapest "Smog Compliant" add on spark retarder available, didn't hook up the wires [actually defiantly left them tie wrapped, and went back to the inspection station].  I showed them the rejection for "no visual installation" of the smog equipment, showed them their inspection report that showed a "pass" on all smog requirements save the visual.  They looked under the hood, saw the inert lump on the fender and signed my Buick off.  No one has ever over estimated the intelligence of State Employees or their contractors!  Get their "objections" in writing, "fix" them then shove it up where the sun doesn't shine!

• 8 months later...